Environment modeling

So, using Blender, I have learned a lot about modeling simple objects like glasses and bottles using Cycles, now I think I want to step up my game and try out some environment modeling, but I have no clue where to start, I figured a good place to start is to find an image which I would like to turn from a concept to a full fledged scene. There are several that I found that I really like, however they all look as if they are going to be quite complex scenes, and I would like some assistance on how to model things like mountains, and things of that nature, I have two images that I found from a simple Google search

Personally I think number 1 might be the easiest? I am not sure, I would like opinions on what you guys think would be the easiest for someone who is pretty new to using Blender, and I would like some opinions of how to go about creating a scene like this, as I have no clue where to even start.

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

P.S. I also have several other renders that I haven’t used yet, I have LuxRender, and Yayafay, I can also get others, but I think we’re a ways away from getting to the point of rendering yet.

Thanks again, guys! :slight_smile:

Terrain is usually done in engine… I’m guessing you are using BGE so you’re good there. Otherwise you would actually create the terrain inside the particular engine (i.e. Unity or Unreal 4) then create the models, like trees and houses inside Blender and export them.

I know nothing about BGE so I can’t advise you there. I’m guessing you can take a flat, highly tessellated polygon and just start sculpting it into terrain.

Good luck!

be warned: environment design is an art form on its own. people go to university to specialize in it. lol

that being said, what game engine are you using? most of them have some form of terrain generation ability, im most familiar with unity’s system, which is quite nice and automatically handles LoD for trees and detail meshes (grass, rocks scattered about, etc).

the unity terrain sculpting tools are quite nice, and you can also load up a heightmap to automatically generate a good base terrain for you to start on and sculpt it to your desired result. but if your not using a good standalone engine, like say, for some weird reason you wanted to use the blender game engine (shits and giggles i guess), you can still use the height map + sculpt method, and if you want a terrain with “built in” caves or other “under the surface” details, you’ll have to manually model it anyway. probably the easiest thing you can do is get Terragen and procedurally generate a cool terrain, then export the heightmap to use in blender, or your game engine of choice to generate the terrain mesh, very hard to go wrong there unless your shooting for super deformed cartoon style.

make an account on CG textures, your gonna need it. unless you want to go the painterly cartoony route, in which case… well there are some texture packs available, or you can “roll your own” if you have a graphics tablet and photoshop/gimp. textures are the #1 most important part to getting a believable result. you will need some nice cutout textures to make your tree foliage and ground detail items (small plants, grass, etc), as well as good ground textures (possibly the hardest of them all to get right! haha)

beyond that. just take your time. getting a good result like you see in the AAA games requires hundreds of hours of tweaking. honestly, if your working at making a game on your own, i would recomend that you not go for hyperrealism and instead take a more stylized and simplified route. it’ll make things far easier on yourself (as in, you’ll have a chance of finishing before your hair starts turning grey! haha

Now that the lecture is over, on to your other questions: in my opinion, #2 would be the easiest to pull off for a newbie. depending on how large you want the environment to be. sculpt up a base terrain, if you want a river, the easiest way to do that is to create a plain, scale it to roughly the length you need, then subdivide it a few times along the width, and quite a few more times along the length, so you can deform it to fit the riverbed you sculpted. then BEFORE you deform it, UV unwrap it, then you can deform the river to match the riverbed. and when you apply a texture to it, and animate it its y offset or X offset, depending on how you UV mapped it), it will look like a flowing river following the curves! fun stuff.

make a good variety of trees, 10-20 variations (im a detail freak, you can do it with less!), make you some ferns (simple plain mesh with alpha fern texture applies, same as leaves on trees). and you can use blenders particle system to randomly distribute them for you. and then tweak like crazy till it all looks good.

have fun, but if you intend to actually run a game with it in real time, be mindful of the tri/poly count, you don’t want to blow more than 1 million tris (visible at the same time) on your landscape, or you wont have much overhead left for characters and structures, and monsters, etc.

I guess what I am currently wanting to attempt before getting into all of the game design/making whole worlds is simply making a still scene using like cycles, something like a photorealistic image, if that makes sense or is even possible. Haha

go for it! there are many free tutorials out there that show how to set up a scene. its actually rather easy if you take it step by step, even large game levels are “easy” to make, just a large collection of easy tasks. AKA: MASSIVE TIME SINK. if you want to do a good job at it. post your results in the critique section!

Do you know of any good tutorials on making grass and or trees?

Thanks

i’ll see if i can look some up later for trees. Grass on the other hand is extremely simple. you pretty much just take a flat plain, UV unwrap it, apply an alpha cutout grass texture to it. then duplicate the mesh, turn it 90 degrees on the z axis, and bam, grass. the trick comes in getting the cutout textures. CGtextures.com has some nice ones pre made, but if your going for a cartoony style you would have to make your own. not hard to make your own from real pictures, but extraction is a pure 2d operation and i don’t know if your using photoshop or gimp.

actually, trees are made in more or less the same way as grass. the leaves are alpha cutout textures, you just model up the trunk and the major branches, its all organic so you can go pretty wild with it as long as it looks treeish, theres really no wrong way. and make flat plain pieces to UV map to your leave texture (the only difference from the grass is you want to subdivide this plane a little and give it some shape to mimic how leaves droop), then duplicate and position them all over the trunk and branches till it looks good. it can take a bit of practice.

if you use unity, it has a built in procedural tree creator that lets you make as many versions of trees as you want in a few seconds each after you get the main “prototype” completed. blender actually has a similar tree plugin you can turn on in preferences, but i haven’t messed with it much. seemed kinda glitchy.

Someone did an online workshop where you could specifically learn how to do outdoor scenes. The results were really great. I looked but can’t find it. Was it Blender Guru? Someone else might be able to help.

this one is pretty good one on outdoor scenes if i remember correctly.

heres one on trees specifically.

heres one for game style grass. which i show because you said you wanted to make a game level. blender can generate some really nice looking realistic grass with the hair system, but game engines cant do that, so it would be a waste of time to learn if you want to make a game. (on this one… i watched a bit of it. ignore that bull crap where he starts subdividing and shaping the grass plane, the point is to save as many tris as you can with that method, not go and create MORE tris. haha! up till that its fine though.)

but really, there are literally hundreds to thousands of blender tutorials on youtube. just search for “blender, topic you want to know” and sit back and be educated!

Thanks guys! Got a lot of really good information here! :slight_smile: I’ll have to give them a shot and see what happens, I am interested to see just what I can do with Blender on this type of scene. However when doing this, would it be best to create each component separately then just import it as like a .obj file into the main scene? That is what I have been doing lately, unless there is a more efficient way of doing that.

Again, thanks guys, I will have to look into those tutorials.