Captain Blendee tutorial - Resizing controls

Is it possible to do the changes on both sides? There doesn’t seem to be a mirror option. The book doesn’t really go into detail. Looks like he moves the controls around and resizes them because the character is pretty big, as in muscular, so the rig controls are inside the mesh sometimes.

This is what I mean.
http://imgur.com/20dYuXK

Doing that for both sides at the same time. Is it possible? Thr book doesn’t explain it.

Yes there is a ‘mirror’ option while editing Armatures…

Select your Armature > Tab into Edit mode > 3D view > Left hand Tool bar > Side tabs > options > check “X-Axis Mirror”

this only works however if your bones are named appropriately… Hand.L Hand.R… Foot.Left Foot.Right… etc…

if the names are correct you can grab Hand.L and move it, Rotate, or Scale… and Hand.R will do the exact mirror…
(this only has effect in edit mode…)

Thank you. I’ll try it when I get home.

This is about bone custom shape mesh objects. To get 2 separate ones to be exactly the same you could get one the way you want it then duplicate it. However, on symmetrical rigs it’s usually possible to use the same mesh as the shape for both sides. Ex: one ring mesh sized and rotated for a right forearm bone shape will also be correct for the left forearm bone so assign that one mesh ring as the custom shape for both.

-LP

This is about bone custom shape mesh objects.

Oh… sorry I missed that…

I think the easiest way to do these is to shape and position your Custom Shape(s) first… (Just as LarryPhillips points out above) … when these are set where you want them…
Duplicate your Shape(s)… (Shift+D)
then using the 3D cursor set to the center of your Armature… (use Shift+S) (then use ‘.’ (period key) (full stop key) to make the 3D corsur the current pivot point) > Scale the objects along the X-Axis using -1 (negitive one)

(you should be modeling your Riggs using X-axis as the axis that runs from Left to Right of your model …)

that should position your objects properly and give you a correct ‘mirror’ for them also…

Thanks for the tips Norvman, very useful. I saw something similar to what you describe (the mirroring) in a youtube video.

good deal… video tutorials are a great thing… I watch as many as I can… not just on using Blender…