Unnamed Research Starship WIP

Hello blender people. I’ve been using blender for a bit over a year now and have been a bit of a lurker on BlenderArtists without actually posting anything, but I’ve decided to try and get over my rather severe social phobias and actually post something. Here goes nothing:

Perspective View

Side View:

Rear View:

I started this spaceship about a week or so ago, so there’s already significant progress made on it, but I am not yet satisfied with the materials or detail. I’m going for an unarmed research vessel of some sort, but other than that I am open to ideas.

I’ll try and work on this as much as possible, but high school kinda eats most of my time at the moment.

Cool design. I dig the combination of round and planar faces. very clean. Keep up the good work!

this is realy a very neat and cool design work. great work!!!

Thanks! It’s nice to know people don’t think my stuff looks terrible!

I like the overall design a lot. It has a quite original concept. I am on your side with your (kind of) dislike of the surfaces/Materials. If it is a research-vessel the should be much more visible structures on its surface. Like:
Intruments, Sensors, gyroscopes, wtf structure you like. Just not as flat as a space-ship from the Star Trek Universe :slight_smile:

…and I think you can do that :wink:

I hadn’t really though about that, but now that you mention it it does need more sensor-type things!
Here’s a few rough ideas, I gotta find places to put them on the hull now:

From left to right: A satellite dish, a little sensor dome thingy, and an antenna.

(Kind of a) serious proporsal: Why not trying to scale those down a bit and distribute them via particle gen? It might be worth a try with that modell.

Well, as you suggested I tried using a particle system, but the ship started to look too much like it had a bad case of acne. So I’m settling for distributing them around manually.

Well, the way they are “aiming” gives them certainly the look of a large array of wapons (sorry for nagging, its not meant to be like that. It’s a really cool modell btw!). Before I continiue poisoing your vision I just give a few examples of what I am talking about. Maybe this is not your cup of tea anyways :slight_smile:

I just enjoy irregular surfaces especially on vehicles with a scientific purpose (and thus vehicles that want to have as much instruments and arrays with them as possible, no matter how wild and messy it looks. Here are a few (rather tame) examples. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I kinda agree about the antennae looking like some sort of weapon array, I rearranged it with a few different styles of antenna to try and eliminate that. I’ll try and post a picture when I’m not using my laptop (Which would probably melt if I tried to render things on it!). Anyhow, I’m sorta trying to go with a hybrid of a smooth outer hull with gaps that expose a ton of instruments and stuff; you can see the beginnings of it on the original renders, with the “belt” of greebles around the ships equator. Since then I have added lots more random objects packed in there, (Which once again I will attempt to post when I get home to my nice big desktop).

Reminds me of forerunner structures in the Halo game. Just sayin’ ; The design is really neat. Although maybe you’d consider adding metal panel textures to the outside?

Very cool, love the clean edges and continuity lines. Keep it up!

Thanks! Actually, part of my inspiration did come from the designs of some forerunner architecture I saw in a Halo lets play.

I promise I shall add more pictures soon, but my desktop’s power supply got fried after a thunder storm. I’m just glad the HDD survived, ('cause my backup drive essentially exploded from the same surge.)

Replaced my computer’s PSU, so I’m finally back on track!

Overall, the only major change is the addition of the sensor systems. I also added plenty more greebles to various areas, and hopefully that shows through.

Closeup of the sensor things (Ignore the ugly material!):

AO pass of the ship:

Suggestions on anything that can be changed/added are welcome!

Hello! I’m back with a bit more progress!
Not much progress (Lots of school stuff devouring my time!), but I’ve changed around the outer hull material to something less ugly and created an IBL background thing.

A random render:

I think that this looks incredible. I have only a small amount of experience with Blender and 3D myself. I am completely blown away by the level of detail that you have put into this model. What was it that inspired you to make this particular model? Was it a TV show or movie, or was it a technique you learned in a tutorial? Anyway, great work!