Using Render Layer vs Saved Render has different results

I’ve noticed that using the Compositor with the Render Layer as my input will give me certain results.

However, if I save that original Render Layer to an external PNG file then use the PNG file as my input instead of the render layer, I get different results.

Does anyone know why?

As an alternative:

• Is there a way to save my rendered image in a way that will be consistent with the Render Layer?
  • OR Is there a way for me to save the Render Layer with the .blend file so that it isn’t lost when I close down Blender

For me, this is important because I may wait hours (or even days) to finish a render but can’t necessarily get to the compositing right away.

Many thanks!!!

The “Full Sample” and “Save Buffers” options will help you do this but it is only good for one frame (the last one you rendered from that file…you should probably be using these options for your renders anyway). The other option is to save out as OpenEXR Multilayer files which can be truly massive, dependent upon how you configure your render output (image size and number of passes included within the files).

RamboBaby, thank you very much!! I’ve been struggling with this for longer than I care to. This is a whole other area for me to explore further.

Thanks again. Cheers!