Rig Bones Shift When I Apply Scale?

Hi All,

I pulled down a simple car rig from Blendswap. It does not match the size of my car so I select the Armature and rescale it. All bones look good and in the same place proportionally. However, when I apply the scale via the menu some of the sub bones move to new locations.

What is the correct way to re-size a rig so the bones stay in their intended location after the rescale?

Check on bone constraints. Some constraint values get multiplied by the applied scale value and thus need to be reset. Rest Length is the most common culprit in my experience. So if you have a Stretch To constraint and you scale your rig up by a factor of 3, then apply the scale, that bone’s rest length will suddenly triple. The reset button in the constraint will fix it if this is the problem.

Thanks, I’ll try that. This is not my rig, so I am just working through the bone structure.

If you look at a tutorial for using Rigify, most cover how to make a rig fit a character. It should be the same principle except where you would move the bones (for instance, the wheels) to make them match.

There are a bunch on YouTube to pick from.

Thanks for the links, I am venturing into making an automatic car rig.