netrender questions ("send job?", do I need to have a client open?, gpu/cpu nodes)

hi there

I tried out netrender with slave, client and master all on the same machine, works fine. In the tutorial I used to understand this, only “animation on network” (on the client) was covered. My questions:

• What happens when I “send job”? Can i close the client then and start the job on the master? Or what is this function for?

• How do I add several jobs to the master at the same time only to render them later consecutively? Do I need to have a client instance open for each .blend i want to render? Can I somehow not have a client open and just submit my .blend to the master (and just see my results in the file browser)?

• Can I render a cycles .blend on both gpu and cpu nodes? Any pitfalls here?

• what rendersettings are applied per slave concerning tiling? is the auto-tile addon working with netrender? this would be important, because tiling would be slave-dependant (cpu or gpu) and could not be just controlled via the client file (in which, btw, those settings are also not available…?)

thanks a lot :slight_smile:

p.s. I did that ugly thread title for easier future forum searches. hope that’s okay.

\Edit: Also one slave just stopped existing during rendering. i had to restart it manually (“start service”) then it was found again by the client/master, however after a few minutes it disappeared again. Why could this be? (the slave is on the same machine as the master and client).

Bump it to the top

• What happens when I “send job”? Can i close the client then and start the job on the master? Or what is this function for?

No, you need always need all 3, the client receives the render results.

• How do I add several jobs to the master at the same time only to render them later consecutively? Do I need to have a client instance open for each .blend i want to render? Can I somehow not have a client open and just submit my .blend to the master (and just see my results in the file browser)?

Dunno

• Can I render a cycles .blend on both gpu and cpu nodes? Any pitfalls here?

Yes, setup to GPU or CPU before change to Netrender.

• what rendersettings are applied per slave concerning tiling? is the auto-tile addon working with netrender? this would be important, because tiling would be slave-dependant (cpu or gpu) and could not be just controlled via the client file (in which, btw, those settings are also not available…?)

I am not sure but think Netrender use the tile setting from setup of the slave.

\Edit: Also one slave just stopped existing during rendering. i had to restart it manually (“start service”) then it was found again by the client/master, however after a few minutes it disappeared again. Why could this be? (the slave is on the same machine as the master and client).

Had this too from time to time but never find out why.

Cheers, mib

Okay thanks :slight_smile:

No you don’t but it basically depends on your configuration. If master and slave are on diferent machine then computer you send job, you can only send job and slave do all work and sand results to master. I have vps with master slave configuration but somethimes i add other slaves, then i send job and all results should be on master machine