Objects grouping or parenting automatically

I’m not real sure where this question belongs, since I’m not certain what keeps happening, so I guess I’ll start here…

I’m using version 2.71 and I randomly run into the following scenario.

I’ll create a couple objects over a plane. A couple UV spheres maybe. At some point, I’ll try to select one of them, but all three of them will select as though they are all grouped together. I’ve almost got a work around, if I go into Edit mode and select the vertices and hit P and choose “separate loose objects”, I can split the objects apart. This sort of works, but now it seems that each object’s origin is still centered on where the origin was when the objects were previously grouped together. I’m sure there’s a way to snap each object’s origin back to it’s center, but these steps are a bit cumbersome. Does anyone have any ideas what I may be doing to get my objects grouped together like this in the first place? I have a feeling it’s as simple as the wrong key combination, but I can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing.

Thanks
Jason

Did you add the new objects while you were in edit mode ? If so you are just adding to the currently edited object so they are all just one single object. If you add an object in object mode you are adding new objects to the scene.

You can reposition the object origin by looking for ‘Set Origin’ under the Tools panel in the toolshelf while in object mode

Wow, could it really be that simple? I bet that’s exactly what I’m doing. I’ll mess around with it a bit, but I’m betting that’s exactly what’s happening. Who knew? Thanks very much for the help!

Jason