Learning to create grooves on consumer product

Need modeling help: thank you for all who can.

Hello,

I am currently working on a pair of surgical tongs for a friend. I created the entire model from a cube. Mirroring it and extruding the body to desired contours. I have a subdivide toggle on to achieve the chamfered edges and smoothness of actual stainless steel tongs. On each side of the body there are cross hatching grooves angles like forward slashes I am trying to achieve (/.) About 15 to 20 that will be arrayed and separated by according lengths. I need each one to be 1/16 deep into the material and I am having a tough time. Can someone help me learn how to do it?

Attachments

Hello,
I am currently working on a pair of surgical tongs for a friend. I created the entire model from a cube. Mirroring it and extruding the body to desired contours. I have a subdivide toggle on to achieve the chamfered edges and smoothness of actual stainless steel tongs. On each side of the body there are cross hatching grooves angles like forward slashes I am trying to achieve (/.) About 15 to 20 that will be arrayed and separated by according lengths. I need each one to be 1/16 deep into the material and I am having a tough time. Can someone help me learn how to do it?

Attachments

Example based on default Grid in edit mode:

• select all,
  • Ctrl-F Poke faces;
  • Ctrl-F Tris to Quads;
  • i, i (I-key twice);
  • Ctrl-i
  • grab z
  • scale individual origins (Pivot set to Individual Origins)

surface details are usually accomplished using normals maps. does it have to be actual geometry or is it ok to fake it?

If it needs to be actually geometry (will it be 3D printed?) then you may have to apply your modifiers and then subtractively cut away at it using a Boolean modifier.

If the Boolean modifier gives you trouble you could alternatively (with all geometry in the same Object) use Mesh > Faces > Intersect - it doesn’t attempt to calculate volume or remove leftover geometry, so less chance of errors but you’ll have to manually clean up (using Select Linked etc).

The Intersect menu option is available in the 2.72 test build. And I believe Boolean modifier reliability is also improved in this latest version.

Hey, cool tip! I should play with Poke Faces and Tris to Quads more.

Heh, this comes from Sanctuary if i remember correct. Tip, while cool, forwarded…

Dan Brown has some nice tips on this technique.