The Paint Room (need Advice)

Hello,

I’ve been working on this on and off for a few days, and i could do with some help. Any one have any advice for me? I want my materials to look more realistic, but i’m struggling.

the red,blue and green stuff in the jars is supposed to be powder paint. And the coloured speckles on the table are supposed to be powder paint dust.

I still have things to add to this scene, such as a paint pallete and a few other items that will fit the scene.

Attachments

Your setup is quite misleading, my first guess would be that those jars contained oil paint because of those blue drops near the paintbrush.

I think it would be cool for you to experiment with particles and volume rendering to achieve that powder effect inside the jars. About the powder paint dust, I guess the smoke modifier would be the best for what you want, tough I don’t have much (if any) experience with the latter.

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt :D, I’m not sure this will give the results you want but I think it would be an improvement of what you have now.

On a side note, your scene is beautiful and the table texture and jar reflections are amazing!

Thank you for the feedback :smiley: I took a lot of time playing around with my glass shader to get it just right so i’m glad somebody noticed.

I see what you mean regarding the blue drops of paint, i was thinking of perhaps changing the contents of the jar to oil paint, this way i could remove the paint particles and replace them with splodges of spilt paint, not only would that be easier it would save me a lot of memory, currently i am using 75,000 particles to generate the dust.

Thanks for the suggestions, i’m gonna get working on some improvements now

3000 samples. 8hr 45 mins

I’ve altered my shaders for the paint in the jars, I’ve added translucency and volume scatter.
I also altered the lids slightly
I Added some small water droplets onto the jar of water.
I also changed the lighting to brighten up the scene, it was looking a bit dull to me.

I also made the powder paint particles smaller, you can only see them if you zoom in.

Attachments

The lighting is a matter of taste, I didn’t change the scene much, except for the shadows. By the way, you should remove all the shadow from the flower painting on the right.

About the dirty water on the jar, I think you should make it less transparent and the roughness of your glossy shader should be slightly increased. I think the results will look better.

The paint brush that is immerse in the the water have the same material and properties of the two other paint brushes lying on the table, which indicates that it’s also dry, which looks weird. I think you should make it look like some of the wood stick is wet to make it more reallistic.

The jar’s cover doesn’t match the size of the jar itself, as is noticeable with the green one.

The material inside the jars don’t look like powder paint at all… you’re gonna have to experiment a bit with that to the the right material… :smiley: …I’d suggest that you use a sand texture or something like that to actually simulate the look of powder paint, you could also make a bump map out of the sand texture and use it to displace the mesh to create irregular surfaces.

Last, but equally important, is the composition of the scene, the table’s texture looks tileable looking at far distances (e.g the top of the picture)… so it’ll benefit a lot from using depth of field.

Also, just a suggestion… maybe one of jars have dropped and spread powder paint over the table?

Looking good so far… wanted to comment on that earlier this week but didn’t have the time.

Keep it up, I want to see this scene in the Finished Projects forum… :smiley:

You can put a piece of fabric down the paints because the table is too well treated or maybe it is a new table, it is looking realistic (the render).

Thank you for the feedback Tiago, You made a lot of great suggestions.

I am definatley going to experiment more with my shaders, I do use InsaneBump to create normal maps/height maps, I’m gonna see if i can find a nice high res sand texture, make it seamless and use that to achieve a step closer to accuracy, i’m also going to try out some completely different node setups to see if i can come up with a good one. And yeah, The displacement definatley needs improving.
As for the Paint brush in the jar, I completely overlooked the fact that something in water should be wet, a very stupid mistake lol. I will fix that first.

The scale of the jar lids is a small mistake that makes a big difference to the overall look of the scene, I did notice that after i posted the image so that has already been fixed.

I’m also going to try out the idea of having a spilt paint jar, perhaps a particle system can achieve a realistic result. I will have to experiment with that.

And Thanks for the suggestion juanrav, Perhaps a small tablecloth? i think that would look nice in the scene.

Thanks again,

I’m going to get to work on this tonight, and hopefully have a new render posted shortly.

To me it seems the surface of the powder paint shoud curve up slightly at the edge of the jar instead of bending down. That would make it look like the powder is filling the jar instead of being a blob in it. Just my 2 cents

Thanks freisenlyle, Yeah i see what you mean. I’ll add it to my to-do list.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps me greatly.

Hi all,

Just a quick update. My progress on this has been slow, but i’m gradually improving the entire scene bit by bit.
Modelling spilt powder paint is a much harder task than i first thought, i have run into a few problems, but it’s nothing i can’t figure out with a bit of time and patience.

I will try to post a new render up shortly, but i am very busy at work at the moment, and its only going to get busier with the christmas period approaching.

But i am determined to get this scene complete and up in the Finished Projects thread, so i will try to find time for this… some how.

Interesting if a bit odd. The paints are weird

Thanks for commenting :slight_smile:

I am currently working on improving this scene, currently progressing with a full re-model of all of the paint, and also improving the shaders.
I’m using reference photos this time.

Finally found enough time to get some proper work done on this.
I’ve changed the powder paint jars to plastic tubs, seen as though ive never seen powder paint stored in glass.
Also added a small table cloth type thing to go under the spilt paint.

After hours and hours of toying around with different methods of creating some convincing looking powder paint, i think i may be finally starting to make some progress.
I used the Fluid simulator to get a basic shape of the spilt paint, then did some sculpting and added displacement modifiers to get a more realistic effect. I then added a particle system emitting a group of 13 different shaped pieces of powder, a total of 115,000 particles with 20 interpolated children particles.

It’s not completely what i was hoping for it to look like, but i’m slowly working my way forward. Trial and error the whole way :).

Let me know what you think,

1000 samples 6hr 54 min

Attachments

Hi all,

Unfortunatley, after i posted my last render, my computer’s PSU decided to die. I have just recently got my new one installed, so i will be resuming work on this project this weekend. Hopefully i will have a new render to post up by monday.

I’d lower the levels of the powders in the jars so it looks like they have already been used, then give them more of an uneven surface as if they have been disturbed with a brush. The jar lids look a little too clean; perhaps they could be given some paint stains or powder clumps?

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Yeah, i was also thinking that the lid looked a little to clean, also the rims of the jars would probably look better with a few particles stuck to them. As for the spilt powder, i can see what you mean… I do plan to re-model the surface into a more convincing shape and also add areas where the powder has clumped together.

I also plan to add extra particles at the edges of the spilt paint, as the current particles end much to abruptly.