Rampaging Panda

Hey everyone, after some low poly messing around to learn the basics of Blender I’m ready to start working on some projects. My first one will be based on my favourite t-shirt:

I’ve started modelling the panda’s body and coul use some advice for my next steps. I’m gonna have to repose the panda but I’m not sure in which order the next steps should be taken.

Should I: UV map (-> Subdivide + finish detailing) --> add fur --> rig and reposition ?

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Topology is all weird bro, just so you know, the arms and hands/feet are a bit messy, but great model other wise :slight_smile:

I think it’s not that messy even if I agree that it’s not perfect but the effect must be dew to the clipping with depth buffer that must be desable… it’s like an Xray (I hate this option :smiley: )

Yeah where do you turn that off, it gets pretty annoying at times :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: found it somewhat, here’s another screenie (though the wire is a bit broken up)

Can’t wait to see how this turns out. Really cool.

Never say no to Panda!

I finished modelling the panda (apart from the eyes) and started figuring out how to do the next steps in Blender. I unwrapped the teddy and gave him a basic texture to start with. I don’t really know how much effort I ought to put into the texture, seeing that I’ll want to add fur on 97% of it’s body in the near future. I also messed around with rigging, but ain’t got much to show just yet.

I got a bit bored with figuring out the technicl stuff after a while, so went on to model his guns. They are based on a Desert Eagle with laserpointer attached. When I say “based on”, I mean “I tried to get as close as possible, except when I couldn’t quite figure out a certain detail”.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

A colour test for the gun. Guess it’s time to figure out how to get the right materials in Blender :slight_smile:

Did my first fur test. I know the whiskers failed, but already managed to fix that :slight_smile: For some reason the black hairs don’t really show, I wonder if a small amount of glossiness would fix that? The cheecks need to be a bit puffier too.

I also made eyes, intending them to be quite red and rage-driven (ok, just using that word just made me realise to look up some 28 Days Later reference pics :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I quite like the look of the white eyes in my test. I’ll have to experiment with some white, vacant, diseased eyes as well.

Feedback would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I think changing the lighting will help a lot in seeing the arm and leg hair. Looks great so far, though!

Been trying to adjust the fur. For some reason the white is too grey in the new renders. I suppose this can be fixed by turning up the thickness and/or amount of hairs. I’m also having some troubles with getting the eye to render just right. For some reason the transparant/glossy outer layer doesn’t show. I suspect that reason is me being a noob with materials in Blender.

So I figured out the eye problem after hours of testing: for some reason the damn faces were gone, there were only edges and verts in the object… So that’s the biggest hurdle, time to tweak and test.

I also have a small update on the gun, gave it a more metal-y material and added the laser. The laser is just a simple narrow cylinder with an emission shader.

After a lot of rigging tests for the panda I’m now moving on to the scene in which I’ll be placing him. I’m trying to keep it pretty simple so it won’t distract from the panda too much, he just needs something to stand on to root him in place. Following the subject of a killer panda, I opted for a simple ruined street/city environment.
The background is just a curved plane with a single colour on it. It might get a very subtle texture, but since I’m basing this piece on my t-shirt I wanted it to have the same colour as a background (now that I mention it, I might just give it a fabric texture :stuck_out_tongue: ). The way I have envisioned the lighting for the future means you won’t be seeing too much of it anyway.

I need to do a lot more texturing tutorials, it’s a lot trickier in Blender than it was in 3dsMax (well, for that program I had a teacher, now I’m on my own) :slight_smile:

That’s the posing done. Gotta touch up th combing and then I’m gonna move on to the lighting.