Excited to have found BlenderArtists.org and BGE

Hi guys.

I would like to say that this forum and community rocks. I’ve been looking at quite a few tutorials about Blender and it’s been really great, but my ultimate goal is to (finally) learn some game development :slight_smile: and I didn’t find that many good resources out there about BGE :frowning: that is… until I discovered this forum :).

Just as a background, I’m fairly versed in Python and know a thing or two about algorithms (at least heard their names :D), read lots of articles and whatever I could find about game dev. in general. I’ve never played with game engines before though and the last time I touched Blender was… 2.49 (which I tried for a couple of times and then left cause of the… interface mainly). But since then and now, the new interface, the full integration with Python (which I love by the way if you couldn’t tell…) I thought giving it a try again. I absorbed all the information my grubby little hands could handle (and my brain… especially my brain) for the past 3 weeks and it all came together in this apotheotic blend file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ntt5bj0ruji5m0/bge_test_01.blend?dl=0

I would like some thoughts on how you (more experienced) guys would set up things, but before that let me make some comments.

1. I know the camera is supposed to scroll, it doesn’t do that (yet), just because I didn’t want to (yet)
  2. I imagine that the gun animation can be done in a much better way (I don’t know yet how), I just threw it over there in the last couple of minutes so I would like to know your thoughts on how to do it better, that is attach it to the “man” and move along etc.
  3. a bit bout the idea: if you guys know the XCOM games, Enemy Unknown etc. I’d like my game to be along those lines, but with elite cops (like SWAT) vs. criminal theme + some few twists and yes, I know… I aim too high, I might never get it done, but I hope with your help and with all the things I have to learn about Blender I’ll manage to keep myself motivated :).

Now I can only hope you won’t tell me what a noob I am with all of this that my blend file is worthless… yep hope that doesn’t happen. Thanks

Honestly wish I could do something like that. All I know how to do is model and texture at this point, but I’m hoping that by the end of this year I will get to working in the UDK.

Well made, however if your going to use the steering actuator, you probably want to build a navmesh and check out obstacles,

otherwise, if you’re using tiles, you may want to check out smoking_mirrors homemade navmesh system,

If you take a look at the set-up it’s actually pretty simple. Now I do state that … after taking a look at countless tutorials online :slight_smile: so I guess before that it wasn’t all that clear to me either. I still have to figure out a lot of things like how to connect the gun and… the hardest time I have is figuring out how to play with the physics panel. With patience and some time on your hands I’m sure you’ll be able to do it, no problem.

By the way if anyone knows, is there a way for an object to have an armature and the armature to have parent rigid bodies and then at some point have the rigid bodies take over?..

Yes, I will most definitely want to have obstacles, I haven’t thought about how to do it (thanks for the tip), I’m just experimenting now I haven’t really thought trough at all, just seeing if I can actually do it…

There’s not a lot of info out there on BGE I’ve noticed, or should I say… not too much quality stuff, except for Monster’s guides and Stym’s tutorials, which I can’t even begin to tell how grateful I to them… without their help I would have probably dropped everything, but they gave me hope, so yeah… if you’re hearing me out there, Monster and Stym, thanks for everything!