My 11 second club entry September 2014

This is my latest 11 second club entry. Any comments are welcomed.

I like it, better than last months attempt!!!

Take this as coming from someone struggling to learn this stuff…

I think you need to work on the part where the cube changes. The first part is really good, the way the camera cuts and the different views, good stuff!!! But I think you need to do something with the characters at or after the pause in the dialogue. I don’t know what I would do there, but I think it needs something. Its like its the same pose for too long, the alien on one side, boy on the other side. My first thought is to switch it up, make the alien move around to the other side of the boy, I dunno to be honest.

As I said, I’m trying to learn this as well, and my entry last month ranked pretty low, so I’m no expert in this at all…

Hope this helps,
Randy

Wow it is nice.Yes it is better than the last month attempt.I like this entry.You can improve and many animation related guidelines and articles are available on the internet.You can try that guidelines and the information.

I thank you for your comments! Yes swithcing to the other side may of been a good idea. As for the cube i barely worried about, i dont know why? I just focused on the Alien.

Once again thanks for the input!

Ooppss…

I’m sorry I did not mean the actual cube changing part when I said:

I think you need to work on the part where the cube changes. The first part is really good, the way the camera cuts and the different views, good stuff!!! But I think you need to do something with the characters at or after the pause in the dialogue.

What I meant was, the first part of the animation, up to the frames where the cube changes, is good!! The animation after the cube changes, at & after pause in the dialogue, just kinda remains the same. Same poses of the characters from here on out.

Actually, the cube, I think you are on the right track here:

As for the cube i barely worried about, i dont know why? I just focused on the Alien.

Keeping the cube simple I think is the best way to go. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. You are right in focusing on the alien & the boy. Character animation is what you are judged on at the 11 second club, not background props.

I used to think my animations sucked because the characters seemed to lack life, they didn’t seem real, too robotic. So last month, I really focused on the character’s movements, pauses here and there, making sure there was follow through and overlap in character’s movements. I actually thought it was one of the better animations I had done so far. My entry finished lower than any other entry so far…:frowning: But I’m thinking I finally learned why my animations aren’t good. One of the comments pointed me at a few books on acting. That’s what I think I’m lacking. And that’s what I think you are really judged on at the 11 second club, your acting, more so than animation.

That is what I feel is lacking from your clip. The first half starts off strong, the alien grabbing the cube, the camera cut, the alien moving around to behind the boy, all good stuff. Then the cube changes, and the characters pretty much remain the same. That’s why I suggested moving the alien around to the other side of the boy. Maybe even just adding in some gestures with the hand holding the cube, while he speaks after the pause in dialogue would be helpful…

Here’s my entry from last month: http://www.11secondclub.com/competitions/august14/entry/nGiqgT
So you can read the comment by Ryan D Lowe, who pasted the same comment in several of the animations finishing around where mine did. I think I will be buying the ‘Acting for Animators’ book that was suggested before I try again.

Best of luck,
Randy

PS - please let me know if you enter.

Got it! Your animation certainly did a lot better than mine.

Once again thanks for your input.