American Flatbow WIP

I’ve been working on this for a little while. It still has a long way to go, but I think this is a solid start. I’m still not sure if I want to leave it on this white background, or put it in a field of grass.

Updated Progress

I think this is better composition. Still a bit more work to do on the string for sure. I need to hide the UV seams

I did a bit more work on it. I’m still feeling it needs a more clear focus. And i’m certainly not happy with the arrow and string materials.

Any suggestions are welcome.

the grain shouldn’t be interrupted at the handle

Okay, I can fix that too. The bow I have, the riser block is a separate piece of wood, but I think it would look better as one piece, you’re right.

I fixed the string texturing, added some SSS to the feathers, and spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the grain in the handle to look presentable. This is what I have so far.

I’m almost happy with it. I think I should strengthen blue in the atmospheric lighting in order to enhance the color scheme.

i don’t really care for that handle design but i know some bowyers use it so who am i to judge lol. The fades look a little short, the arrow looks under spined as well. i’m assuming the bow is for a lefty? looks good btw.

Yes, the bow if for a lefty.
What do you mean the arrow looks under-spined? Do you mean it looks to narrow (small diameter)? I have a little confusion about arrow spine.

Here’s another update. I scaled up the arrow and lengthened the feather because one of my friends pointed out that they were very short for natural feathers. I also fixed the bottom edge of the bow, where there was a UV Seam, but that’s not in these renders.

Looks ok to me, but for some reason I feel like the feathers used for fletching were put on backwards. I would think the natural separation of the barbs would go the other way, and usually feathers were cut or trimmed to shape before being glued to the arrows so you’d not rely too much on the natural feather shape. (Maybe this is a thing though? But for what little tiny bit of archery I did I don’t remember seeing it.)

Looks ok to me, but for some reason I feel like the feathers used for fletching were put on backwards. I would think the natural separation of the barbs would go the other way, and usually feathers were cut or trimmed to shape before being glued to the arrows so you’d not rely too much on the natural feather shape. (Maybe this is a thing though? But for what little tiny bit of archery I did I don’t remember seeing it.)

Okay, thanks. I will fix that. If you are interested in following this project through to completion, I have submitted it to the Focused Critique board, since it is nearing completion.