Blender crashing after BVH build when trying to render

Hi all,

I’m trying to render out an animation. The render runs fine on my machine, but I took it to a friends place who has more GPU to get the animation out faster. It renders fine on my machine. I don’t have the blendfile right now to attach but here are some (hopefully relevant?) details:

-Crash happens consistently right after BVH is done building
-Rendering cycles
-Rendering to multilayer open EXR
-We’re both running windows 8

Some thoughts:

-We might have different builds of blender
-I might be using add ons he doesn’t have
-I packed all my image textures into the file, but two of the files had a “could not be found” sort of error-these textures are no longer in use in the scene I think, so I let it be
-His build will render an animation of the default scene to open EXR without an issue

Can anyone provide any insight??

Are both machines running Win 8 x64 and Blender x64?
How much VRAM has your GPU and how much VRAM have the GPUs of your friend (if they are of different type, how much VRAM has the “smallest” card)? What RAM usage does Blender show in the status bar (above the image editor window with your render) just before the crash?

Blender crashing is at least 7 out of 10 times caused by running out of RAM.

Thanks for the reply Ikari,

I believe it’s Win 8 x64 and blender x64, and there’s no processes running on his machine that would take up substantial VRAM other than blender, plus we were able to render this project on his machine once before, and it has not grown substantially in complexity or size since last time.

Thank you though, I will try to verify these things.

Jay

Was able to check, x64 blender running on an x64 machine. He didn’t have software to track GPU usage, but his card is better (GTX 680 I think) and has more memory than mine. No other programs were running on the machine so I’d assume this is either internal to blender OR some weird issue with the card itself.

If I had add-ons on my machine downloaded/enabled that he doesn’t would that crash it?

Solved this,

My friends copy of blender had the user preferences set to CPU rendering and my file had the render settings to run on GPU. Normally, when you have user preferences set up for CPU rendering and you create a file, you don’t have the option for GPU under render settings. I guess when you load in a file that already has the render settings on GPU, it bugs out.