Blender Feature Request System

Here I was sitting, wondering why there was no disk cache node in blender. Dang, my composites were taking forever!

I came across this thread.

The conclusion of the thread was that there was no interest for such a feature. Well, the obvious question is how do we no that there is no interest for that feature? How do we gauge the importance of one bug fix / feature over another?

Granted, this was posted in a public forum where anyone could give feedback. For years that has been the main way to propose features and changes to blender. I think it is time we take that system to the next level. I propose the creation of a Reddit style feature request system where proposals could be upvoted, downvoted, and even funded by the community.

Each proposal would have the option of being sorted by category, by net total votes, and the bounty value. This would make it easy to see what features are most desired.

The bounty value is how much people have pledged to pay to help fund the development of the feature. A potential solution to make sure the funds are going to the right place, you will not be billed until the feature has been added to the official trunk. Not a perfect system, but I am open for suggestions.

The voting system may help to get data for a few particular controversial problems. Namely user interface changes. I would like to see some hard data on what parts of the interface are causing people grief, instead of this endless debate about being able to select things with the left or right mouse button. Granted, there are some obvious things that could go wrong with this system such as intentional trolling and uniformed random voting. This system will only work if everyone takes it seriously.

Please, do not get me wrong here. This is not to take away power from the blender foundation or the developers. However, it is to empower the end users to decide what features are most important to add.

Of course, I am not about to create a community based system without discussing it with the community. Please post whatever feedback and suggestions that you may have.

I would like to see some hard data on what parts of the interface are causing people grief

You should watch this:

I am in total support of this.

I agree that the data for interface requests may be significantly skewed and/or unusable.

However, feature requests for other categories such as the compositor will be significantly more useful.

Regardless, I have a prototype built with telescope.

The domain name will probably change, but for now it is hosted at Epsilondelta.co for anyone willing to beta test the system and give feedback.

The current IP address of the server is 107.161.160.249 just incase the domain name takes you anywhere else.

I agree that the data for interface requests may be significantly skewed and/or unusable.

However, feature requests for other categories such as the compositor will be significantly more useful.

The domain name will probably change, but for now it is hosted at Epsilondelta.co for anyone willing to beta test the system and give feedback.

The current IP address of the server is 107.161.160.249 just incase the domain name takes you anywhere else.

Doesnt matter if you post 3 times and your server is down…

Whoops that was my bad. Apparently I can not post things without mods approving it, but I did not figure that out until I tried a few different things.

As for the server, I am not sure why it keeps going down on me. It only stays up as long as I am ssh’d into the server.

Its always the tech demos that go wrong.

The website should work now. Tell me what you think.

Your server setup is still messy, basically all links will lead you to localhost:3000

Why don’t you sell the right to make a feature request on ebay?
Maybe this is a totally weird idea but maybe its worth a try (at least once to find out whether it is working).

Kyraia