Would you buy it? - an research thread about an work in progress [POLL].

Would you buy it - an research thread about an work in progress [POLL].

Hello! Lately I have put some more work in an python networking game/project that have been going quit well.
The project is an 2D block-placer that let the player completely modify the world, eg. add/remove blocks. If you have heard about terraria, it have allot of similarities whit it. the game will have fully functioning networking that sync the position of the player, the world and the changes made in it.

what it will have if completed:

*fully functioning network sync (already done)
*account system and server based save
*Support for an X number of players, (where X depends on the power of the server machine, but about 20 - 30 would not be an problem for any never machine)

• Support for unlimited size worlds (load/deload,etc…)
  • Mac/windows/linux support
  • allot of different blocks
  • crafting system. eg some blocks combination make new blocks
  • Inventory system (handling the different blocks, and other items found in the game)
  • xp/level system
  • more…

I have done allot of this, and can do the parts that I haven’t done yet. My current life position do however not allow me to pay for it, so in order to make this game I’ll need to know if there are any potential buyers. Ofc I do understand that based on the few lines of info that I have given u it is hard to say: “I’ll buy it” but hopefully you do get an view of what kind of game it would be, and from that perspective also get an hint about if you would consider buying it.

Now you might think, “hello, why would we pay, as you making it in blender, that is free, there are no need for any money”. This is however not the case, Yes blender is free, but other tools are not (for sound,pictures,more…), and to keep an server alive are certainly not.

So now to the question: If this Idea where to become an finished product, that where available for around 10$, would you consider to buy it?

plz answer on the poll, and/or leave an comment telling me why/why not. If you have any ideas’/question then do also leave an comment.

My vote is based primarily on the presentation of the game. What you have described sounds great, but it is too vague. The game sounds like it could have potential, but I wouldn’t the risk.

screen shots!

videos :smiley:

I don’t know “terraria”, but overall it sounds like a 2D version of “minecraft”.
I would not consider buying it for some very simple reasons.
The Text sounds a bit boring to me. But your text only presentation can’t sound any better, since it’s not a game with a fantastic Story as main feature.
There is no real presentation like concept art, gameplay, screenshots. In other words: you don’t “show” something.
Without anything visual i can not decide if i would like your game or even your art style.
You say it by yourself that your game will be like “terraria”, but you don’t tell, which features of your game will make it diffrent to “terraria”.

Maybe you explain why your game will be so much fun to play, because right now it only sounds like a remake of an game that already exist (i dont know “terraria”, so i might be wrong)
And also prepair something visual. Maybe a concept of the interface or sketches of the characters or,… well i guess anything will be better than nothing.

I’m saying no I wouldn’t buy it because it doesn’t sound like I get anything new out of it. The power of the indie game is how it can do things mainstream don’t. Do I want to play a game where you can manipulate a handgun’s individual parts? Like Receiver. Or how about a game where you shoot fish in a barrel? Like Cod of Duty. If I am going to buy a game, I would most likely get one that is different from my other games. If I have Minecraft why would I want Terraria or this game? Block placing games are pretty boring to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Terraria is also 10$, why wouldn’t I just buy that instead? But like Cam.Dudes, I’m not a huge fan of games like Minecraft, or Terraria. Either way, I voted “no opinion”. If you’re gonna create a poll like this, add some screenshots or a video. For all we know, the quality could be lacking. Ooor it could be better-looking than the original game itself.

I believe this is a good game idea.I like destructable environments,building things in game and quests.
Videogames with voxels in them have a lot of potential.

You need to construct a good pitch, then ask your target audience. Any feedback here won’t reflect actual sales.

You mention that not all the tools you need are free. I personally have all I would need to develop a game, if I decided to:
Blender: 3D graphics, video editing, a ton of other features that would take too long to list…
Paint.NET: 2D graphics
Audacity: Sound
LMMS: Music
Notepad++: Programming
I’m not saying there’s no way you could need money for this or that you shouldn’t earn money from it, I’m just saying there are a LOT of free tools out there. Maybe one of them could help you with your budget?

No I don’t think I would buy it. From what I can tell it’s not my style of game. Doesn’t mean that it isn’t good, just not my cup of tea. :slight_smile:

I’m a moderator for the Starbound community. Starbound is a game made by the person that used to be the lead artist of Terraria. Starbound follows the same basic premise of Terraria, except Starbound is in space and has many worlds and a player spaceship.
Starbound’s biggest rival game (aside from Terraria) is a game called Edge of Space. Again, same basic premise, except EoS only has one world and no spaceship.
The point I’m trying to make is that, there are tons of games like Terraria, most of which also boast a networking system like the one you’re trying to advertise foremostly. Your description gives me no incentive to buy the game because there are 4 games sitting in my Steam library just like it, with many others on the Steam store.
Also, as a consumer, I tend to have an automatic and almost unconscious bias against games that advertise “crafting” with prominence. Item crafting is such a saturated mechanic in the indie market, and it’s starting to get to the AAA’s as well. That’s also why my own projects tend to steer away from crafting mechanics, unless the crafting system I come up with allows for players to be truly unique.

Bottom line/tl;dr voxel games are really popular, but only a few are. And clearly, judging by the amount of people here that don’t even know what Terraria IS, let alone don’t play sandbox games, you won’t find your real answers here. My recommendation is to either price your game really low to create a “poor man’s Terraria”, or do crazy things that are REALLY out there. Otherwise, your game will be like Edge of Space/Windforge/etc and be lost to the back corners of Steam where only bored people tread.

(also as a shameless product plug, check the Resources section of the forums for my voxel-style building system, if you’re gonna go through with this idea you may as well use my system for it.)

Hello everyone!

First of I would like to thank every one who voted in the pool and/or left an comment, they are all appreciated!
Making this thread gave me allot of Information and motivation that I will keep in mind the next time I make an poll. Anyway, I have to say that I’m more than pleased whit the poll result, as I got some good info out of it.

I will take all the good info in mind and later on post an new poll, this time whit allot more of material to show.
I Will however w8th until I have made some more progress on this project. Until then, here are an pre-alpha movie showing an randomly generated world consisting of 300.000 blocks - and it is all synced to an server over network.

And once agen, an big THX for all the comments!

Looks good so far.I am looking forwards to seeing some enemies.