[Lowpoly] Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun

Started a new project today. I started on a similar model not too long ago like this one but never completed it:no:. I have pretty much the whole day to work on this so hopefully i can at least get the highpoly done.
The end result is going to be a game-ready midpoly model for use in a next-gen engine for a FPS game.

Update 5
10/08/2014

I’ll be posting progress throughout the week…

Comments and critique are of course always welcome.
polygobblerr

Update: Making steady progress :ba:

and another cycles render because well, its a golden shotgun. Who wouldnt want to see that? lol

Thats all for now. I expect ill have the highpoly done by tonight then its on to the lowpoly.
polygobblerr

Love it already!

Thanks BShep!

Finally got around to posting the highpoly… I’v had it done for the past 2 days :no:
Final High-poly

Wireframe

I like how its turning out so far. Moving on to the lowpoly!

Update 3
9-24-14

Lowpoly mesh completed.

Tri count:

Update 4
10-08-2014, 12:18 am…

So the past 2 weeks I had a hell of a hard time trying to get proper bakes with this model. I literally had to bake all the parts separately using its own individual projection mesh(aka cage), but I got it looking how I wanted in the end. Im so excited Cycles now has baking abiliites! Such a valuable addition for game asset creators.

Anyway, I can now happily say I am in the texturing phase of the project. Looks pretty sexy in Marmoset if you ask me… but its nowhere near done These are just the base textures with a basic spec map.
I did notice that the normal map displays better in Blender GLSL shader, but I think that’s just due to the fact that Blender and Marmoset aren’t synced. Please correct me if I’m wrong though because that’s just something I’v read on the Polycount forum hehe.
Comments and critique of course always welcome.

Oh and by the way, this is my first time using marmoset tools so I’m still getting used to it.
More updates to come.
Goodnight, annd happy blending.

Polygobblerr

Wow… I’m in love… XD
I’m working with gun modeling myself, and I’m wondering how to do the physics stuff. Could you point me to any sort of tutorials on that? Help would be so much appreciated, being a new indie game dev and all it’s pretty aggravating tracking down all of the stuff I need to learn.
On to the model…
I saw the thumbnail and just thought, “Wow… Now THAT is what I want my R700 to look like.” (I’m working on models for a specific game and the R700 is one of the guns we’re using, BTW) So, I figured I’d pop in and ask a bit about it.
Also, got to love that cycles render!

Wow thanks GTVPO! Iv never had someone say they love my art xD

What physics stuff are you referring to? Physics for bullets, physics for game characters?

Ill post another cycles render with the completed model(textured and all)…
Heres the texture maps if your interested, still a WIP but its getting there…

Diffuse Map

Normal Map:

Specular Map:

Polygobblerr

Wow! Good job! I love the render with the wood textures. I don’t have much experience with weapon renders, but I think the metal material looks too much like plastic. :confused: - If the material uses a mixed shader with a glossy and a diffuse shader plugged in, I would try mixing more glossy and maybe darken the color of the diffuse… Just an idea :slight_smile:

Maybe this will help? :slight_smile:

Hey Dan, thanks for that suggestion. Ill try it and post the results.

Havent had much time to work on this lately, been working on lighting and materials mostly.
Shotgun Cycles

This is the first time i’v actually tried making something photorealistic with Cycles rendering. So what do you think?

My feeling right now is that it is too clean so it could probably benefit from a dirt pass at the least.
Back to work i go!

Polygobblerr

Update
10-30-14

Did some minor tweaking and material adjustments. Still feel like it needs more visual appeal… maybe a shell holder on the reciever?

Anyway heres the newest render in Cycles.
I lowered the diffuse color and increased glossiness a bit but for some reason the metal still looks like a neutral gray.

Node setup:

Closeup just for fun:

Comments and critique always welcome.
Polygobblerr

Nice models and shaders. I really dig the UV packing too. Very nicely packed!

Thanks SterlingRoth,
I’v spent more time on texturing and materials on this project than any other project i’ve done in the past with cycles. Learning lots as I go and It’s been fun. Just wish it hadn’t taken me so long to get where I am now. That’s alright though, better late than never hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Polygobblerr

Update
11/06/14

Back again with some more updates on the project. I’v been having internet issues the past week so i haven’t been able to get as much done as I’d like, but nonetheless i have been working on the project. I thought the gun looked a little bland, so I decided that I’ll make a shell holder on the receiver to give the gun more visual appeal. Started working on the shell this morning and here’s what I got after about 5 hours of work.

Cycles
100 Samples
[ATTACH=CONFIG]342998[/ATTACH]

Marmoset Toolbag Render

Final Model and Texture:

Wireframe + Normal Map:

I think this is basically done, I want to get started on the shell holder itself so more progress on that to come! Thanks for viewing,

Polygobblerr

Attachments

Last post of the night. Wanted to show what the bullet model looks like in Blender Game Engine.

Okay more work to come tomorrow.
Peace out :slight_smile:

Polygobblerr