Blender guru contest: speed runner

Hy this is my WIP for the blender guru contest. My idea would be some kind of suit that allowed you to run very fast.
Here are my first renders. Any suggestions, tips, critiques, etc are welcome.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

And a more detailed render of the back:

cool idea and model. I think the front of the knees should be more articulated, or spongy or something. at the moment, it looks like it might hurt your knees, especially if it was moving very fast.

Thanks for the tips. I made the knee cap larger so that there is a little bit more space. I think it looks better now.

i think modron is right you should put some padding between the person and the bionic parts.

I see what you mean. I’ve added in some basic padding. I can update it later on. Problem is that I think it’s not really going to show up in the final render.
Here are some detail renders to show what I did:

Nice idea. But I’m afraid it doesn’t classifiy as a vehicle?

From the description of the blenderguru contest:

A vehicle is classed as anything that transports something (like humans) to somewhere else. So long as your idea fits that, it’s allowed.

I think it is allowed :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably not the best example but…
in a car you put your foot to the pedal to make it move, hand to the throttle in a plane, you have to use at least some part of your body to operate a vehicle. This just requires you to use your whole body to operate it, so I too would say it fits in the competition and using the human body as the base for the vehicle gives you a bit of uniqueness amongst the competition.

Though if he’s running fast enough to compete with other forms of transportation he may need a helmet.

Excellent point :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll think about it.

Didn’t like the hip area of the suit. Here is an update, but I’m not really satisfied. Any opinions?

More detailing on the back of the leg. Also fixing up the hip area.

Hy again,
It has been a while (lots of other work). But I’m back now :stuck_out_tongue:
I created a helmet. What do you think of it? Also I changed the materials a bit.

Btw, I’m not really sure about how I’m going to set up the final composition.
Option one: an in action use of the suit.
Option two: a product display in a studio (like a car for example)

Any suggestions or opinions about these two?

i’d say that completely depends on your skills. If you have the skills and time to make an action scene do it because it will probably look more interesting.
a studio shot is the save route, but better than using the hard route and not coming to a finish

btw your shaders yould use some texture to make it look a bit less clean

Thanks for the tips. I’m probably not going to be able to make a full action scene in time, thus I will be going for the studio shot.

About the shaders, you’re absolutely right. I’m just not really sure about which texture would look nice. Any suggestions?

Here are two new renders. Back and front.

After doing some setting and lighting, this is my results. I still need to do the pose.
Any critiques are welcome.

Wouldn’t the soles need some bending properties for decent running? Nice work so far though :wink:

You’re absolutely right. It’s on my todo list (which is growing longer and longer :p)