2.72 test build running very badly

2.72 test build is running very badly ,

animations are all “skippy”

is this due to the way it’s packaged? (test build?)

anyone have any insight?

Make sure the box labeled ‘restrict animation updates’ is unchecked. Checking it will optimize the animation system, but will introduce stuttering for fast moving objects.

I use restrict animation updates in 2.7,

it’s smooth as butter,

not so in 2.72

Did you uncheck it though?

Perhaps it’s a recent issue that’s causing it to drop a lot more frames than it used to?

yeah, it messes with how everything reacts,

(jerks around all crazy)

It makes things super fast though with all the dropped frames ironically.

But yes, it needs a few edits to make it more subtle, or better yet, having a per-object update rate.

it does not fix it to uncheck restrict animation updates, instead it makes it go wild,

checked behavior - “Skippy”

unchecked behaviour - frame rate appears off, (not 24 fps) but somewhere closer to 60

The game panels also have an option to change the animation playback framerate, it’s possible you have it at 60, change it back to 24 and it should all be good again.

ok, odd,

if I leave restrict animations on, and up the frame rate to 45 on animations,
all is good (it’s a tad fast) but it looks nice and stable.

There is another animation related bug too that introduced after 2.71
Where animation differs one frame in skinned meshes.
https://developer.blender.org/T41619. Thinking, if its conjuction with this?

We hope correction, because it will ruin our game.

Is anybody having GPU latency lag problems with the test build? I had a lighting setup worked without any lag at all on 2.71, but in the test build I am getting huge segments of lag where it drops to 3-6 FPS often for a second or two at a time, which is strange considering I have really nothing to pull on the GPU in my game. Only have one sun, no other lights, and everything else is essentially just base shapes.

I am also experiencing what seems to be a bug with rayCast()ing. When my player is facing an enemy, the rayCast works excellent, but when he turns around it stops working. I can keep turning around facing him and facing away, every time when facing away it stops working except for when I am right ontop of the enemy basically. Of course, in older versions this is not the same issue, it works perfectly turned around or facing, so I assume this to be a bug. Here is a picture of what i am saying incase it isn’t clear:

Can anybody confirm or deny this is an issue in there own setup?

https://developer.blender.org/T41094
I’ve never verified that it occurs on other actions.

I think the this commit is related, but it looks he has never fixed or resumed the codes yet…
https://developer.blender.org/rB315609ec0c1e28eb12bde3e8bbd2a5b03672b1a9

My skinned vs other animation time difference is gone if I use buffer shadow in light. Without shadows differences appears again,
and buffer shadow seems break ping pong animation (Pingpong with armatures don’t work too with shadowbuffers).
Well… Shadow buffer seems really change timing order in frame updates.

#Damutantman
GPU Latency: I haven’t noticed (Windows, NVidia GTX560Ti)
Our project do rayCasting heavily and no errors found with this in python (Okay must things happening less than 10 meters distance).

Do you use logic block or python, is it difference raycast enemy to player or player to enemy?

A game I’m working on shows the Ping Pong animation working just fine with or without shadowbuffers being used (and the only thing I did was tweak a logic brick setting or two to be closer to how things used to be set in 2.49, animation issues earlier in the 2.6 days forced some tweaking of the brick settings).

Is anybody having GPU latency lag problems with the test build? I had a lighting setup worked without any lag at all on 2.71, but in the test build I am getting huge segments of lag where it drops to 3-6 FPS often for a second or two at a time, which is strange considering I have really nothing to pull on the GPU in my game. Only have one sun, no other lights, and everything else is essentially just base shapes.

I’ve noticed that there may or may not be a stuttering issue if the Vsync mode is set to adaptive rather than just ‘on’, something seen more when the FPS would dip below 60 FPS regardless.

Okay more studies with pingpong…

Keyboard (space) — and — Action (pingpong) -> Anim don’t go backwards with buffer lamps.

Always (with true trigger) — and --Action (pingpong) -> Work without problems.

Used example from this https://developer.blender.org/T41094

I use code for the rayCast, triggered by a true level always sensor. It’s my rayCast from enemy to player that is the issue right now, it seems that after further testing, it will sometimes trigger, and it just doesn’t reset again. So it is for enemy AI shooting mechanics, facing it with the player it will keep shooting every few seconds, when I turn my back (in 2.72) it takes one shot, then the ray stops working without errors to the console. Turning to face the enemy again, it will resume shooting until I face away again.

I will try this if I get the issue again, I am not sure what exactly I did but I am back to having no lag. Maybe I had some outside process running that was just not being displayed in the framerate percentages and that was causing the lag.

Do you trigger actuators with python? If so, bug may be sit in actuator triggering. (For pingpong error too).
Try to print to something to console if raycast is true, but actuator not triggered.

I have used rayCast, but its consequences handled direcly in same code, its does not use actuators and I haven’t notice errors.

It never says it is not activated. I am not using any actuators for the shooting or anything, that is all python. The only actuator in use is a steering actuator and an endObject to track it.

Another very strange thing here. I just tested the game again, but this time not in camera view. The raycast IS working in this view, and the drawLine redline from the enemies laser is infact there. Running the game again now in camera view, the laser is not there, and I am not taking damage from the enemy (so the rayCast is not actually working at all, since normally I would take damage from contact with the ray every few seconds). Very odd, and quite annoying!

Works for me

Anything specific in your scene then? Also check the physics visualization as well as the console to make sure there’s no anomalies or errors.

Hmmm…If rayCastinglines is out from the camera view(frustum) then they don’t work??? . If we get that confirmed? There are some resent commits with frustum culling fixes may cause problems.