Can I change face of character in animation, and it apply to the entire animation?

Hi.

Once I’ve made a film, can I change the face of a character and have the bones etc apply to the mesh?

Essentially just changing character?

I’m not sure exactly what your saying…

but if your asking …

can I move the vertices of the mesh around after you have Parented and weighted an Armature to it…
the answer is …

Yes…

just select your Mesh TAB into edit mode and move points to your hearts content…

if the Mesh however has shape keys you will need to make sure which shape key your doing the vertex manipulation in…

Usally the ‘Base’ or ‘Basis’ shape key is the one that you want to manipulate… but once you start moving vertices in that Base it will have some effect on all the other shape keys so be careful and check the other shape keys as you go to make sure it’s giving you the results your looking for…

Cheers norvman, but no, I am asking:

Say I had made a film that was made with Batman as my main character, all the jumps and kicks etc

Then after consideration I decide, no I want to change that character to Superman.

Can I just change the mesh, and apply the mesh so it works with all the bones and what not?

Same film, except I have changed what the main character looks like (Batman to Superman).

Is that possible?

Cheers.

yes just change out the Mesh (Superman for Batman) but use the same Armature (the Batman Armature) that you used for the original animation…

you will have to do what ever new weight painting on the the Superman character Mesh that might be nessisary to get it to work with the Batman Armature but that’s probably not a lot of work compared to having to redo the who animation over again…

Cheers norvman!

:slight_smile:

I feel like Columbo here, but:

Just one more thing, how do I change out the mesh? Just by selecting it and deleting it? Will that erase it entirely, and also, do I swap out the Batman mesh for the Superman mesh on the first frame, so it applies throughout?

Cheers in advance!

I feel like Columbo here, but:

Just one more thing, how do I change out the mesh? Just by selecting it and deleting it? Will that erase it entirely, and also, do I swap out the Batman mesh for the Superman mesh on the first frame, so it applies throughout?

#1 you never lose anything if you have saved your file in a backup file… :slight_smile:

#2 several ways to do it…
but yes you could simply delete the Batman Mesh and import in your Super man Mesh and Ctrl+P the Armature to the Superman Mesh…

but a safer way is to simply take the Batman Mesh and delete the Armature Modifier that is currently on it…
Select the Batman Mesh > Properies Panel > Modifier > Armature > hit the X on the upper right hand side of the Modifier to delete it…

Once that is done the Armature and the Batman Mesh are no longer associated… and you can use that Armature on another Mesh…

Brilliant.

Cheers norvman :slight_smile: