Trying to Model an Eye Cup

First of all, I apologize if this isn’t where I should be posting (this is my first post – I just joined the forums today). Anyway, I’m trying to model what I call an eye cup for a friend. It looks like the picture here (10704777_10204786781093050_142513607_n.jpg) just not made of paper.

I’m pretty proficient in modeling, but this shape is beyond me how to even get started. I tried something like the this,

but it’s not quite right. :frowning: :no:

Any and all help would be appreciated.

It seems simple enough but what you have modeled and the reference image seem to be completely different objects. What kind of eye cup? A camera eyepiece eye cup as in the picture? An eye cup for bathing the eye with eyewash as in your screenshot?

The attached was made easily by subdividing a plane once, dragging a mid side vertex, inset once, circularize the inner loop, scale it, delete the middle vertex, extrude the outside edge, extrude the inside edge, subdivision surface modifier, solidify modifier. If you are pretty proficient with Blender this rather brief instruction set should be easy to follow.

I know, I know, if you had wanted a toilet bowl you would have asked for a toilet bowl… just how it turned out.

Attachments

eyecup.blend (185 KB)

Awesome! I never would have thought to use a Plane. :eek: I’ll work with this new found idea and see how much easier this is. I’m looking more for the reference picture – guess it’s more like a camera eye piece. Thanks so much! :smiley:

I understand the terms and all, but I’m a bit confused where/how to circularize my edge loop. I know how to do this in other modeling programs, but can’t find it on Blender. Help please! :confused:

I use LoopTools ‘circle’ addon to do this, but you can also do it by selecting the loop, median pivot chosen, them do transform.to sphere,

Thanks for all your help! By the way, are any of these other modifiers add ons? (if so which one/s?) Thank you again for all your help! I will post pics/screen shots when it’s completed. :slight_smile:

Okay, I’m NOT done, but I got this far and now I’m not sure why nothing is turning out right. It’s also not as rounded as yours. Please advise.

Modifiers - look at the right side of my screenshot to see which ones and how much.

Is there a way to move where the hole goes? Or should I just subdivide more? My friend wants it closer to one side than the other. Thanks again for all your help! You’ve been so incredibly helpful. :yes:

You could try:

1. Go back to the step where I said, " …subdividing a plane once, dragging a mid side vertex…" Now before you inset, which is the next step, move the center vertex in the opposite direction than you moved the mid side vert. Then continue as before.

If this does not work well enough, you could try:
2. Enable proportional editing (O key). Now select all the verts of the ‘hole’ and move it in the direction that you want. you will notice some - or all - of the other verts following! Don’t panic. Scroll the wheel up or down while looking at the header. It will show the proportional influence distance shrinking or growing, and as it does you will notice the circle on canvas doing the same, and the effect on how many verts are affected follows.

Incidentally you should be in top view while doing these of course or you will be moving things in some strange direction.

Subdividing more will not help you at all unless I have not understood your meaning.

Finally made something that my friend is happy with! Here’s the screen shot of the finished eye cup. :smiley: