fixing messed meshes

Hi,

i built a model but i made mistakes in the making - using erronous functions and messed my meshes - and i kept on working on my model but now it has erronous meshes and if i use decimate modifier, it makes random triangle peaks out of the character’s skin or more particularely, triangle shadows spotted all around…

I’d like to learn a way to fix all meshes, reduce them, ballance them, remove lose meshes if it applies… reverting inverted faces… It’s hard to fix meshes with scarce blender knowledge and wikis aren’t obvious at all :x wikis should be made for noobies and indicate prerequisites on all pages - like… http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Decimate i really didn’t know that i had to click the monkeywrench icon before i could reach the square icon o.O lol :stuck_out_tongue: - yeah, may look noob, but it was nothing obvious when i rarely used any modifiers :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m working with “wavefront” (obj) limitations and i need to find where the mesh connections goes wrong because i work with both blender and anopther modeling tool that uses wavefront files :-3 Anyway… The model really is messed up and has way too many meshes… I’ll upload a “collage”

Hmm… What i really want to do is to regularize meshes and to “average” the faces’s size and deployment’s average… But keep the more complex zones like ears and nose…

Maybe is there a way to totally generate a shape over the actual model with ballanced wires?

So… first is decimated, second is the real verticles and third is with no decimation… There are some ripples that i would like to fix too :-3

what you need is retopo ( retopology ) / surface snapping. With this method you can construct a whole new mesh on top of your old one with total control over the topology. There are some tutorials out there, but if you have problems, come back and I will break down the process.

i found a more recent model to work on that still contains the erronous meshes :stuck_out_tongue: picture updated…

I made a few researches, also, found tools to re-topo that are automated but that aren’t free… And learned the hard way that not everything with blender is free xD

It will take a while to make the whole thing and i feel like it will degrade the quality of the model a lot…

What i’d espessially need to do would be to set a min/max face size and apply by cleaning/filling faces that doesn’t fit the scale…

I’d also need to reduce the maximum of meshes connected to a verticle to a certain limit…

Right now, with re-topography, i extrude verticles one by one, row by row, try to ballance the number of points on each row then select verticles 2 by 2 and fill between… It’s really long… If i extrude faces or meshes, they doesn’t align with the model in factor of rotation… I’m not yet familiar with grease pensil either yet but i fear it would end up with too many verticles anyway… I learned that i could adjust the number of point for each greace pensil strokes but i couldn’t get “what keys” to use :stuck_out_tongue: I also learned that the same method were used to create clothes but i missed a few points pertaining to this too :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if my model wouldn’t contan lose meshes? If it could be what causes those out of coordonate triangles… MAybe i have a few doubled-meshes or parallal meshes with holes between too… It’s been a while i’m on this project so it cumulated a few leaks since and then… :stuck_out_tongue:

Wiki link you have in the starting post is for the older Blender version. Wiki has version selection at the top.

To do retopology you need to know topology and tools. Automatic tool won’t be that helpful unless you know to evaluate the results and guide it. This subforum has a sticky thread for topology tutorial collection, could use human head topology example from that as a reference.

There are some terminology issues.
Mesh elements are (singular/plural): vertex/vertices, edge/edges, face/faces. Different faces are: triangle (tri) with 3 vertices, quadrilateral (quad) with 4, and n-gon with 5 or more vertices. A vertex that has 3, 5 or more than 5 edges connected to it is known as pole. A polygon is same as face in Blender terms. Mathematics also tell that a polygon can have any number of sides but there are differences with the term, depending on the application and context. In gaming context, polygons almost always means triangles.

Objects and their structure are very distinct in Blender, and accessed separately in object and edit modes. When using the word mesh, it usually means structures in edit mode, consisting of one or more connected mesh parts.

The reason for retopology is to get optimized structure for the form you already have. Getting better topology. One that gets optimized is the polygon density where areas with more defined features have more polygons than areas that have less. In this case you would probably want to build it the way that you can use it for subdivision surface modeling, which means adding a subdivision surface modifier in the stack in Blender. That way you can vary the density with a push of a button but still have it distributed as it is in the structure you model.

You could use face snapping to get the mesh elements stick on the surface as you move them, shrinkwrap modifier to get the whole mesh or designed area to stick onto another object, Bsurfaces addon to build surfaces quickly. Other modeling tools can speed up things a bit too, like F2 addon to get face fills quickly, face menu -> grid fill to fill areas quickly. There are some external tools, such as contours addon from cgcookie to speed up that process but what comes in Blender is enough to get retopology done.

Thank you for all help ^^
I used a software meant to remesh, it’s expressly called “remesh” and it fixed it, it has many cleaning features and is quite straight-forward ^^ one-task software ^^ then, i learned how to clean up meshes with blender, cleaning loses, etc… I deleted points floating nowhere, simplified the mesh point by point instead of remeshing/retopo finally because some important details were to be kept… Forgive my English by the way, i’m French… With the retopo tips, thought, i learned how to create objects point by point, learned how to snap, how to create clothes and other details… I’m grateful for this, thanx :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: And while working around it, i simplified the model from like… 170 000 vertices to 9000 or so ^^ What’s the preferred amount of vertices for games? What are the best practices to make faces react best with face subdivision modifier?

Attachments

Game engines move vertices but detail is expressed in polygons (triangles). There is no universal detail number for games, games are different and depends on

• platform it’s for (web, mobile, console, pc)
  • maximum amount of polygons in the view (models have multiple levels of detail and this is the maximum estimated amount of polygons in the view at any time)
  • performance tests

All quads, face loops around openings, edge loops follow edges. Subdivision surface modeling can be beneficial for a game model if you make high detail version and bake that detail on the low detail model in form of textures. It doesn’t matter if there are triangles in the low detail model since you won’t be using subdivision surface on it and the final game model will be in triangles anyway. It’s up to you if you want to make high detail version or not.

Not that much wrong with your english, can still understand. Just lose that “…^^:P” crap and put each subtopic in its own paragraph like you did in the starting post. That way you get the message across easier because there is a structure in what you write, and your posts are easier to read and answer.

About the polycount for a game engine, here you can find many example of polycount for many games, so depending for which game you’re aiming your model, you’ll have a good idea there on how much is good and how much is too much.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PolygonCount#Typical_Triangle_Counts