Anssi - Sketchbook

Updated thumbnail:

Original post:

So many fantastic threads in this section of the forums and the idea is just brilliant.

In this my own sketchbook I’m planning on dropping some unfinished or “stuck” projects and finished pieces that are part of some bigger picture, yet to be completed. As well as some fast doodles and the like.

This one has been under the work bench for a good while, I’ve changed the renderer in this project from Lux renderer to Yafaray to BI and now finally to Cycles :confused:. It’s still missing some finishing touches and weaponry. Once I manage to get those done, I’ll try to whip up an action packed diorama, with a squad of these guys figting in a tight spot. Originally I was planning on rigging it and making even a short animation sequence, but I’ve given up on that. The armor is not functional enough to be rigged in a believable manner and I think that the design is a bit weak from some places all together. I know that some die hard WH40K fans will propably smash me for this design, but I wanted to make something different from the usuall armor and still keep it recognizable to the genre :o

Planning on making a set of “fps-hands” so I could practise animations seen in first person shooters and also to practise hand animations in generall.

On the side I got a bit carried away with this watch model :smiley:

This simple character from my avatar was made mainly for animation practise. I’ve managed to make nothing finished with it just a few tests.

Really awesome stuff! I have a feeling I will be seeing a lot more of your work in the future…:slight_smile:

Man, these look amazing. The jumping animation rocks, and the Hands for the fps , really really nice

The big guy might not be riggable but you can use constrant tracking to get the parts to move the way you want them too

thats what i did with this guys robot armi tracked the pistons to move with the arm

Cool Animation and characters… Lets me know I need to get busy working on my animation skills…

Your Avatar and jump character is really cool. I would like to see a short story with him.

Excellent work
Impressive.

Thank you chaps :).
You guys have very fine collections of work as well, especially michalis your sculpts are awesome. I’m just learning zbrush (got a lisence from work) so I might come bugging you for sculpting tips somewhere near future :smiley:

Allright, I wonder why is he shooting marmelade though? :eyebrowlift2:

i didnt have time to make it transparent because i entered it in a contest a few months ago

i didnt use any textures for the flash just a color ramp
this was done in cycle with about 5 other nodes

Hey, I think that the main problem with your muzzle flash is wrong type of materials. Muzzle flash or a flame consists of emitting particles, so if you want to simulate that with a solid mesh you should go with a blend of emitting material and transparent. I don’t think flames reflect light, they just emit it, but I see much glossiness in your muzzle flash which makes it look like a solid blob of something crystal like material.

And um, I would appreciate if you would not send too many your pics in this thread. I mean no offence nor do I have anything against your work, but I try to keep this thread as my sketchbook and my posting speeds being what they are, it’s soon going to be overrun by other work, if I don’t keep it tidy :slight_smile: Cheers!

ok i’ll see if i can delete my pics for you.
i guess i agree on the gloss in the flash need to do some more work on it.
and to tell the truth i dont really like my work all that much
cant really get what i want out of my models but i’m still working to improve
and thanks for you critique:)

I’m delighted to see you’ve started a sketchbook, DeaDEnD! The few works that I’ve previously seen you upload are superb, and seeing someone’s side work and experiments is always a treat! I feel your images always have a polished look to them, and yet still retain enough quality of imperfection to make them feel very real and tangible; not like a CG work that has so much polish it loses it’s hold to the real world.

The glove and watch are a great example of this. I also really like your WH40K custom design- it may not be 100% faithful, but it’s immediately recognizable as a WH suit!

Absolutely a second on the glove and watch. Really dig the rough worn look to the leather of the glove. And the shape of fingers and hand. Norman Rockwell kinda detail.

I really like your space marine, not exactly what I would have expected, and it looks like some of the armour elements are perhaps pulled from other games/references as well? It has that good old WH40k feel to it but it also has a bit of a Mass Effect feel to it at the same time, not the direction I would have thought, but is superb. Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Was all of this rendered with cycles or just the big robot guy?

Excellent! Gloves are rather impressive and so is the WH40K bot.