Materials/texture don't look right after duplicating object

I’m following this tutorial to texture an eye. At the end, it asks me to duplicate the eye and put it on the other side. This works fine when they are in different layers, but once I join the objects, which it asks me to, something happens and it looks wrong. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to create UV maps all the time? I’ve tried creating UV maps, using the assign button, just about everything. I’m completely new to creating materials and texturing.

When I textured the head, I had to unwrap the UVs with the E button and I created a UV grid image. I also created a UV map. When do I need to create UV maps? I don’t know if the tutorial expected me to do other steps before but I obviously missed something. I had no issues until I joined the duplicated eye with the original one.

Thanks for the help.

Hard to say without seeing a pic of what the problem is (and maybe even the settings).

It might help if we knew which tutorial you were trying to follow.

I don’t believe it should be because of UVs, but I could be wrong.

I had no issues until I joined the duplicated eye with the original one.

This just doesn’t sound like what you should have done… I always make my eyes as sperate objects from one another… and they therefore have separate UVmaps…

As you can see, it looks like it’s applying the texture to both eyes. I have tried using the assign button on each eye but nothing happens. Norvman, I get what you are saying but the tutorial joins them and it works fine, I want to learn how to do it that way.

Check the mapping of all your textures.
If you have joined the eyes, than its most probable that you are using ‘Generate’ instead of UV, for this to happen.

In your Texture Panel, Mapping Section, in ‘coordinates’ select UV, and in ‘map’ select your UVmap.

Secrop is correct… you need to either create UVmaps for both the eyes such that the UVmap can can both share the Texture in a over lap or you need to separate the eyes into two separate objects… such that the texture is not streched across both eyes…

Thanks. I think the problem was that I needed to join the layers where the eyes were, not the eyes themselves as one object.

Norvman, I get what you are saying but the tutorial joins them and it works fine, I want to learn how to do it that way.

please reference the tutorial