Racing Kart... Modeling and Texturing Practice...

I had been posting this in my sketch book and the thought occured to me I probably should be posting this as a work in progress as that is really what it is…

I choose this model that I have actually had (at least partly build for some time now) because of the Unique Materials and Modeling forms that a Racing Kart has…

Looks cool so far… How did you get those joints like that?

Even though I started this model quite some number of years ago (back in my Lightwave days) I have reworked it here in blender to take advantage of some of the features of blender

I struggle with not being able to get all the noise out of some of my renders… however… these were not set to very high sample rates… 200 I think…

Any suggestions and critque is greatly appreacheated…

Rear Hardware work… still needs some modeling and Texturing

Looks like a cool piece, can’t wait to see the final product!

Wheel Hub work…

Which by the way I’m using a subdivison surfaces and all proceedural textures on these…

Here’s where I Learned how to put nice welds using texturing (no this was the one thing I didn’t use a proceedural on)

Here’s some Nutty work…:eek:

Anywayz… may not be anything any one is interested in seeinig…

Modeling is looking great. Welds are really nice. Tires could use a little love.

Slap a KT-100 on it and head out to the track.

Did you actually run a solid rear sprocket? Now days just about everyone runs split sprockets.

I have run solids in days gone by… (they were a pain) in fact split sprokets came out the last few years I was running Karts… 1981 I think?.. LOL! damn… I’m gettin’ old!

@Ryeat Oh… give me some pointers on making the tires with more “love”… LOL! I was trying to texture for some thing soft and squishy… what I got seemed to look right… but then… one of the big problems with working on something sometimes is you need some different eyes to look at it to kill your own Myopia…

I ran from '99 - '06. A comparative youngster I guess though I started late at 40.

I think the sidewalls need more definition. I’m just a beginner myself so I’m not sure I can give the best advice.
Here is an image I did for a weekend challenge a few weeks ago. If you like, when I get home from work I can pull up the blend and see what I did for textures on it. The wheel is not separated, it is just one object with different textures applied to different faces.

Attachments

I ran from '99 - '06. A comparative youngster I guess though I started late at 40.

I tell yah… there things I learned in Karting I could not have learned any place else… not just about Racing… but enginering in general… it was a great time… I recomend everyone do it at some point in their life… I seriously have been able to converse inteligently with Formula one mechanics before about racing because of what I know from Karting…

I pulled togethr some resource material on Kart Racing Tires…