Photoline v18.5 is out!

Version 18.51 is now officially out! Many workflow enhancements.: for example, groups are now cached, so non-destructive complex documents are much, much faster to process. This is a free update for registered users.

Other new features:

• New Filter “Polar Coordinates”
  • new Boolean vector cut function
  • New Alignment Functions "Distribute Layers Equally Hor.“ and “Distribute Layers Equally Vert.”
  • Paint Tools with Smooth stroke options
  • new vector editing options

And the external app link option now includes PDF as an intermediate file format. This means the user can send vector layers to (for example) InkScape or CorelDraw, and edit the vector elements in those, and send them back to Photoline which updates the externally edited layers automatically. Very handy, and works like a charm.

And most importantly: selection of objects has been vastly improved:

• elements can be selected and moved in one action. (before we had to select first, then move - very awkward)
  • elements inside groups and outside groups can now be multiple selected. Before only elements on the same level in the layer stack hierarchy could be selected, and this was quite inconvenient and a potential workflow killer - especially with mockups and documents with complex arrangements.

These last two improvements really make a huge difference in workflow speed.

Full list of improvements / release notes: http://www.pl32.com/pages/rnote.php

Photoline offers a 32-bit linear workflow, imports and exports layered EXR files, true vector layers, Lab, RGB, CMYK and greyscale at 8/16/32bit per channel, and a predominantly non-destructive workflow. It costs 59 euros, updates are 29 euros.

This is good news, as I still make edits to my images in Paint Shop Pro 7 and I have no idea if moving to any of the newer Windows versions in the future (after 7) will kill the ability to use it for good.

I believe that this is the program everyone has been waiting for if they want something more capable than GIMP, but don’t want to be induced into the Creative Cloud.

Wow! PSP 7 was introduced back in 2000, wasn’t it? Definitely have a look at Photoline then, because in terms of professional image editing it can hold its own against Photoshop. In some areas it actually outpaces its Adobe competitor. To be fair, in others it does not - there is no 3d functionality, for example, nor any scripting interface.

I have been using Photoline in production and for my personal work now for about 20 months, and have completely left Photoshop behind. Although I still have a license of CS6, I mainly use it for file (psd) conversions. Interestingly enough Photoline does have support for Photoshop specific PSD functionality such as the most common colour adjustment layers, layer effects, and layer masks. Even text is imported as real text, but hidden beneath a bitmap version of the original text to make sure the visuals do not change after import into Photoline.

I recall PSP 7 - probably one of the best versions. The later versions… meh.

This one is the most important for me. Thanks for the info, going to test it now :slight_smile:

One thing to keep in mind is that when a background element is selected, and it lies below another object, you still have to select a foreground element first to change the focus to those. That is actually quite handy.

And in the newest version you can turn off the handles with <ctrl><6> and it no longer reacts to “invisible” transformation handles. In older versions even with the handles turned off we could still scale/skew/rotate by accident. That is not the case anymore.

And guides, when locked, do not obscure selection any longer. Another improvement is locked elements: multiple selecting objects with shift would sometimes inadvertently select locked objects as well - that too is corrected in this version.

All in all, usability and worfklow has reached a clear higher level in this version.

Has Photoline something like Refine Edge for masking?

Some of it, in the masking tools - there is, however, no dedicated Refine Edge dialog like the one in Photoshop. I have to agree this feature is the single thing I miss most (together with a scripting interface, which PL lacks).

I have been considering Topaz ReMask, though, which seems to do an even better job than Refine Edge.

Hi Herbert123,

thanks for the information.

This is bad.
Topaz ReMask cost around 70$.
Photoline has attractive features, but I am superior to buy me Photoshop Elements with ElementsXXL
http://thepluginsite.com/products/elementsxxl/

Let’s see

Interesting - I was not aware of the existence of ElementsXXL. I do see some grave limitations, however:

• no true 16bpc support: it uses a workaround method whereby 16bit data is saved in 8bit layers. Not all tools and filters can be applied to 16bpc images either, only a subset.
  • no Lab, no CMYK support. That’s very problematic.
  • no curve drawing with the pen tool - again, there is a workaround by combining segments, but it sounds very unwieldy.
  • no 32bpc support.
  • still the same limitations as Photoshop when working with layers. For example, only one layer mask per layer is allowed in both PH and Elements.
  • no mac version.

On the other hand, it does look like a very nice image editing solution. Scripting is also possible, something I miss in Photoline.

Good to see more alternatives for PH and the CC subscription model.

Good objections.

I hope that in Elements 13 (Release Date???) support for 16 bit is coming.