Glass Flower material?

Hey all,
I wanted to create a glass flower like someone on this forum. They had a cool picture and I just wanted to know how they did it. I forgot their user name, so I took a shot, and apparently, I’m not so good at materials as I thought.
The idea is to create a glass flower, each pedal with a different color, and the overlaps create another color entirely (the mixture of the 2 overlapping colors) I can’t seem to find a way to do that :confused:

I’m pretty sure they did theirs in BIR, and I don’t really care what I use to create it. The one I’m showing is the Cycles one, as my BIR one is worse
does anyone have any ideas and/or the person I’m referring to’s name?
Here is what I have so far:

Background

Thanks

I can’t really see clearly lol, but what you could do is model a single petal, duplicate it, and apply a different material for each. Using an array modifier would be easier but I don’t think you can apply a separate material through it.

Or what you can do is the same material, but with each petal as a separate object, using a random node as a factor to choose between colors on a color ramp, like in this example. Here, I “doubled” the points so that it would choose specific colors. Without the “holder” points, it would simply choose any color along the gradient between the two points.

(Note that each petal would need to be a separate object, or they will all pick up the same color.)

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I mean to make a glass-like material. just glass or mix of glass and diffuse won’t work
I am currently doing each indivisual pedal having 1 material. I will just copy materials and change their colors, after unlinking them of course.

if you know the person with the flower as their user image, I want to ask them how they did theirs. I believe he’s “famous” here, but I"m not sure…

Maybe I lost my “forum search” skills, but I failed to find that glass flower image you’re referring to here. Could you link to it so we can see exactly what you want to achieve?

I have an idea from your description, but there must be more to it - otherwise you would just use a pure glass shader with a tint?

Although in my example (which is from a “frosted glass” that I came up with) goes into a translucent texture, it can just as easily be done without it. You can either plug the color directly into the glass color (in which case, you’d want to use versions that are closer to white so that you have a transparent glass) or you can have the glass shader going into the surface with the color going into the volume absorption.

(BTW, Diffuse in this “frosted glass” doesn’t work as neatly as the translucent, because it blocks the light.)

If you’re wanting a “clear” glass, the translucent isn’t needed. But if you’re going for a frosted glass look, straight adjusting of the glossy gives more of a “gummy” look, which is why I mixed the glass with the translucent.

Here’s an example with clear glass. I prefer the volume absorption method because you can fine tune the results easier, but you can get fine results with the color a little more desaturated toward white if you want to go into the color of the glass material.

In both of my examples, all the objects have exactly the same material. In the first, I accidentally used the location instead of the random, which sort of works, but the random is the one you really want. And like I said, you can do it with more of a straight gradient instead of “holding” as I did here.

Totally what I wanted. I finally got the magic formula and I needed this as a final touch. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Glad I could help! :smiley: