Sci-fi Concept Vehicle

I spent two days modeling this basically on the fly. I had in mind some kind of futuristic scout vehicle. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

For the contest? I think wheel needs more detailing, and some paneling on flat surfaces would be great.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I love!! Looks awesome!

I agree, this is such a cool looking vehicle, the modeling is very clean and smooth, and the presentation you’ve given it is lovely. As mentioned, it could use a little more detail in some areas, just to fill it out. But other than that, it looks awesome!

Thank you for the comments everyone! Ok, I’m thinking maybe I can cut some subtle paneling into the bodywork just using displacement on the material. Not sure about the wheels yet though but thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

Oh, just one thingy, could you share compositing nodes? I’ve just noticed that there’s a cool glow to some areas of the paint, and while I know how to do that with Gimp, I’ve always wondered how to do it in the compositor… I know it’s shown in lots of tutorials, but I’ve no idea in which ones… So yeah, just a link could help a lot too…

Thanks in advance

2days? wow, that would take me a month! lol. would be nice to see it in its natural habitat, rather than a studio render :slight_smile:

i like the design… but, i would not add details by paneling, since to me the composition of detailed areas and not so detailed areas is very well done and balanced. more details like panel lnes might disturb that…

Thank you doris. I think you might be right actually. I tried adding extra details last night, but whatever I did seemed to throw the design off somehow.

@ Small Troll - Actually at some point I want to rig the vehicle and do an animation of it driving across the surface of some alien world. Maybe one day I will actually get around to it!

Of course. Actually I did hardly any post processing on the image as I felt it wasn’t really needed. I just combined two glare nodes. One with fog glow and one with streaks.

really great work in the engine area. you nailed the detailling there. I would add some details to the front tire as it is in the middle of the picture and looks quite flat right now.

Oh and before putting this thing into a moon scene consider that combustion engines dont work without oxygen ;D

Thanks for the feedback [hris. I think I will experiment with doing some treads for the front tyres and see what happens.

I like the creativity. What disturbs me are the logical gaps, which makes it “unreal”.

• it goes for aero dynamic but has parts that just stick out (exhaust)
  • the proportion of the spoiler doesn’t fit and would it acutally have a funtion?
  • the rear springs are to small for the weight of the car. And they are fix, but they need pin joints to work
  • front and rear wheels don’t fit to each other

There was one statement from Andrew that I try to stick to all the time:
“Form follows function – That means the functionality of the vehicle should determine it’s design. “Beauty results from purity of function.””

I’m having a hard time myself to stick to that. Besides that, it’s still impresive, very nice texturing and lighting. Give it some more atmosphere around it and it’ll work.

Andreas

Thanks for your feedback Xerubian.

Actually I’m not entering it into that competition. It’s not good enough and I didn’t really think about it in a logical way! haha I just modeled it straight out of my head. I wanted to make a fantasy vehicle that I thought looked pretty cool! :smiley:

Awesome!..I love model…two day for modeling…Good work

Well, from that perspective it’s even more impressive :eyebrowlift: I’m not able to get my ideas into Blender and I did scribbles like hell.

I actually would encourage you to submit this as an entry. It’s much better than other stuff for the competition that I’ve seen so far. Put this “car” into a propper scenery and off you go. To quote Andrew ones more: “Competing alongside other artists is a good source of motivation” Go for it :yes:

I agree with Xerubian.

You did a really good job and who knows what happens. It’s a shame if you have a model like this not to participate.
I agree that a scenery would even increase your odds even more.

Great job and show of creativity and skill

Love the design cudos on that. But I’m not a big fan of the color and shape of the tires. I’d have gone for either something more blackish rubber, or some metalic discs of sorts. The exhaust seems a bit out of place … but that’s just nitpicking.
I like it!

Thank you for all the comments guys! Here’s another angle of the vehicle

Attachments