What did I do wrong? (Captain blender book)

I’m following this book on Blender and I’m totally lost.

I painted this simple pink texture on my character but I’m obviously doing something wrong:

My preview looks strange:

And when I render it, it looks like this:

This is that old captain blender book. I’m new to Blender and new to anything color related. I’ve been modelling for a while mostly in Zbrush and Silo.

Looks like you have painted on generated UV image instead of creating a new one, which is fine, but no idea why it doesn’t render or what could be wrong with the material/texture. You haven’t provided any information about material/texture settings, your scene, render settings so have to guess. My guess is that you don’t have a lamp in the scene to light the character for rendering.

Perhaps check the tutorial that is linked in my signature.

Try selecting the individual parts of your model that are or may be separate, tab to edit, hit a for select all, and in the tool menu pick Flip Normals, then return to object mode. The normals often get turned ( why I don’t think any one knows for certain ) and become or render as the most unsightfuk junk you have never seen. Also, for those meshes which you want to be joined even in edit mode, select A for all, and select remove doubles, and look to see if any doubles are reported to have been removed in a little temporary window up at the top of all windows. also alt-J removes triangles. also selecting, in edit mode, individual edges then x-dissolve edges, then switch to verts and after they light up select x-dissolve verts, except for corner verts etc.