Asset Sketcher v0.3 - SALE WEEK(18th - 25th feb)

Hey there everyone!
Some of you may know Asset Sketcher. Some maybe not!
I wanted to give you a small update on this addon. I am almost done with a new update which brings some nice enhancements with it!

So what is Asset Sketcher?

Asset Sketcher is a blender addon that lets you paint objects directly into your scene. If you are a level designer or love to create scenes with lots of details, this will be the perfect addon for you. Asset Sketcher lets you populate your scene very quickly. With a variety of settings you can randomize how assets are added to your scene. With some intuitive short cuts you can delete and pick objects directly from your scene, which gives you some extra speed for designing your level. With Asset Sketcher there is no need to place/scale and rotate your objects manually anymore.

Functionality
Add objects, groups and groupinstances to your asset list. Adjust the paint distance, the scale. Finetune it by adding random values for scale and rotation. Paint objects into stroke direction. Orient objects directly to your ground. More parameters can be set to give more control. If you want to see it in action and convince yourself how fast level creation in blender can be, just take a look at the video.

You can get all relevant Information at http://cgcookiemarkets.com/blender/all-products/asset-sketcher-blender-addon/

Here is the original Video from version 0.1

And here you see the new features for version 0.2

For everyone who considers to buy this addon! I hope you will enjoy it! I think this can be a great time saver creating levels or scenes with lots of objects.

Greetings,
Andreas

1 Like

This is pretty cool; as soon as I find a need for it, I’ll be buying.

Just one thing I didn’t understand in the video demo. You spoke about the Asset Distance control. Does it control the distance between instances of assets as they’re laid down in the line you paint? Or does it control the distance between assets side-to-side when you’re painting multiple assets? (If those questions make any sense.)

Thanks, I have bought v.1. The only thing I would like to see in the future is the possibility to link objects from another file.
Some database .blend file with a lot of source objects, for example.

I bought this. This is very useful add-on! Makes kitbashing very easy!.

I have an idea based on how this works. How about making an asset management plugin, which could show optionally a mini image of the asset and the assets could be stored to another .blend file? I know many have wished for a real asset management, but this could be good enough for models. It would not serve for materials and for other types of assets, but it would be a very good start…?

@rontarrant
you can set the asset distance. this is the distance the asset will have minimum before a new one is added. And this distance setting can be constraint to the brush radius. Thats all :slight_smile:

@ jachtarfranko
yes… this could be something worth to look into in the future. Thought about it myself already, but haven’t made any investigations into that direction.

@Markku
phew… This would be great indeed, but I think this is not in my reach. I don’t think I will have the skill to create something like previews for the assets :slight_smile:

By the way… I think I crushed almost all bugs and usability flaws now. So the release of v.02 can be next week I think.

For a future release I may add some asset preview in the viewport. So you can the asset directly in the viewport. Made a few tests in that direction and it should be doable…

A great addon. I have some suggestions for enhancements. Collision detection for placing objects, and Constrain to surface (Maybe Copy Transform Constraint with VG?).

Something like the http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/ultimate-painter.

el_diablo
phew… this is some heavy stuff… collision detection and surface constraint is out of my reach for now. I don’t think I have the needed skills for that ^^
I am still only a graphics artist with limited coding skills.
But the video looks awesome!

It’s too bad this is an addon, because I’ve cried about that object scattering tool for a long time.

Hey guys… Today evening I am going to launch the new Version!
Just squashed the last bug that was holding me from releasing Asset Sketcher.

I also added a few nice extra features. So you now can select all sketched assets of one type by simply clicking on the select button next to the asset in the asset list. Also you now can limit the delete brush to only delete objects that are selected.
This way you can quickly select one asset type and then only remove objects from that type without removing other objects with the delete brush.

A new small operator that I added is to merge assets together into one object. This way you can increase performance.
So if you like that addon and want to help me, I would appreciate if you purchase it, or just spread the word. This release will be nice! :slight_smile:

I will be buying it, its actually a no brainer. There has been quite a few times I needed this. For example in sculpting adding detail like gun belt bullets and similar.

Hi all,
Asset Sketcher v0.2 is released now!
You can get it here in at the blendermarket: http://cgcookiemarkets.com/blender/all-products/asset-sketcher-blender-addon/

Here is an overview of the new Features.

Features for Asset Sketcher v0.2

• Added a paint Brush Behavior. (brushsize and brushdensity)
  • Pen Pressure Sensitivity – If you have a wacom Tablet you now can manipulate the brushsize, brushdensity and asset scale with the pen pressure(Avaiable in Blender 2.72)
  • Slope Threshold added (this will prevent objects to be placed on slopes)
  • Asset Selection from Asset Library now possible. Just press on the select Button and all objects of one type will be selected
  • Option for deleting of only selected objects. Very usefull in combination of Asset selection. This way you can delete quickly objects of only one type without even touching other objects

And also a video overview:

Couple of notes:

• filename changed, updaters need to see that right one is used
  • with big brush and small object the placement is odd/random
  • This is probably Blender problem, not the scripts fault: if you hit TAB accidentally, Blender shows it’s in Object mode but the Canvas is in Edit mode and you can’t get out of it…
    Otherwise, works as earlier, and is very useful! :smiley:

I cannot install v.2.
There is no *.py file in the Asset_Sketcher_v0.2.zip file

@@jachtarfranko
there seems to be a py file inside :wink:

@Ndee
thanks for the update.

@jachtarfranko: The zip contains another archive which contains the actual .py file. My systems says that the inner archive is tar file, so if that’s true, it might cause some problems in MS Windows.

Yes, there was archive in archive. After 2x unpack it works now.

There is problem I think, doesn’t work on vertical constructions, walls … for example, works only 0° to 89° from horizontal plane, not 90°. Slope threshold does not influence this behavior.
It is no possible paint objects on walls now.

Edit: some vertical walls can be painted, some cannot, I do not know why.
When i tried a cube, 2 walls work 2 do not and then works only 1.
I think the behavior is not predictable.

@jachtarfranko
I have made some test.
Painting works for me on every engle. But the brush drawing does not work on all angles.
I will take a look into that… This is strange…

@jachtarfranko
just found the bug and fixed it. You can download the new version from the blendermarket.

I have tried new version, but I think problem is not fixed.
In scene is default cube and default cone, 2 sides can be brushed a 1 on screen cannot be…

Edit: second screen
Some faces can be brushed, some not. Randomly.
I would like to use this plugin for interiors. Put beds, chairs, plates, chairs, paintings on the walls, sockets …
Ideally from external database *.blend files :slight_smile: