elysiun.com (trap?)

I was googling for things last week like dynatopo/environments/textures/blah/blah/blah and I came to the dynatopo thread here (and others).
I needed to login for something and it seemed to load but it went back/refreshed like I never entered anything; I repeated and then I think I went to my email, blah blah blah, I couldn’t login. I then went over my previous tabs and saw the address was actually elysiun.com/[...] so I was confused and wanted to know what it was, so I opened elysiun.com and it redirected me to blenderartists.org and I could see myself logged in.

It seems that elysiun.com redirects to blenderartists.org, and all elysiun.com/subdirectories mirror the blenderartists page without storing the cookies such as user credentials.

Now what I want to know is this a trap site for stealing passwords and such, or is/was it like an alternative/affiliated link that’s not mentioned around here?

is this a trap site for stealing passwords and such,

No, elysiun.com was the name of the forum before it became blenderartists.org.

when I try to post I get redirected to elysiun and prompted to log in again, then it kicks be back to blenderartists and i’m logged out. rinse repeat.

Is the URL you’re posting from www.blenderartists.org or just blenderartists.org without the www?

actually, wasn’t it elysium ( with an m )?

You’re thinking of the Neill Blomkamp film with Matt Damon :wink:

I think its always without the www

Why don’t the masters of BlenderArtists.com get rid of the confusing and back of mind unease inducing elysiun re-directions? Is it required, necessary for more server room, or still existant?

You’d have to send a support email to CG Cookie to know for sure, but the reason for keeping the domain (and the redirect) alive has been for the opposite effect of what you’re describing. That is, Elysiun was the original name and the name that most people used to use to describe this site, and BA was the questionable one. It’s been quite a long time since the transition to being BA, so perhaps Elysiun is due a decommissioning. A quick check of the whois data says that the domain expires in 3 days. I don’t think that the domain should be outright dropped (there’s still quite a bit of search tied to it and a spammer/domain squatter could abuse that). However, perhaps rather than mirror BA, elysiun could be dropped to a single web page with a link to BA.

The truly confusing part about this double-identity mystery is that I can’t log in at elysiun.com. It looks like a mirror of blenderartists.org, but it doesn’t work. Can’t log in.

So, naturally, I worry that it’s a fraud site, as anyone would.

It should just be a redirect to the proper blenderartists.org site.

I just came across a link to elysiun.com in the forums here and saw that the domain had expired. I went to archive.org to check what was there before and when I found the site I noticed how familiar the forum categories where. I had forgotten that BA used to be on a different domain.

For a blast form the past, you can see it here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050204042427/https://blenderartists.org:80/forum/index.php