Is a graphics tablet worth it?

Hello, I am not sure if I am posting this thread in the right place. I want to know if I should invest in getting a graphics tablet for complex sculpts. I know it is a personal preference and it depends on the user, but I always felt that sculpting with a mouse seems very unnatural and I feel like I don’t have enough control. What does everyone think? Should I get a tablet or just keep practicing with a mouse?

I think you’re much better off with a tablet, and when you’re not using it for sculpting, you can use it for painting.

YES! While I got along with just my mouse when I first started sculpting and I prefer it for straight box and extrusion modeling, when it comes to sculpting, a tablet is WAY easier! I didn’t realize how much I was depending on my tablet until I messed up my pen the other day (and now I need to get a new one :confused: ).

If you are just starting out, you don’t have to get something fancy, like a Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid (the one I really want to get…) that has a built in screen so that you can look directly at what you are drawing. A simple Bamboo will be more than sufficient. Though I do like my Intuos :smiley:

On my site, I was recently discussing tools of the trade, and the tablet is definitely one of those purchase I would make BEFORE upgrading the CPU or GPU. One reason is that the cost of the other two is higher, but they are more “efficiency” tweaks, where as the tablet can be a “skill” upgrade. In other words, with a “skill” upgrade, you can improve your images faster and at a cheaper cost, than by doing things in a more “efficient” manner.

Of course, that’s just my 2 cents worth.

And, as Modron said, you can also use it for “Painting” or Drawing in a program like Photoshop, Autodesk Sketchpad, or GIMP.

Yes. I’ll be honest, I still don’t get on with it for sketching or painting, I keep trying it, but I’m still happier with the mouse. It is however very natural with the sculpting, and I can’t imagine trying to use the mouse for that anymore.

A tablet is a great tool for modelling simple objects for your scenes such as tables, chairs, tires, accessories, you name it…

I use Spacedraw on my smartphone I model some props for my scenes.

He means a graphics tablet like Wacom, not a tablet computer like an iPad. And yes, it’s definitely worth it.

Indeed worth it. I don’t mouse in blender. Tablet all the way (also for modeling and animation)

I can’t remember where I read, it but rings true to me: “using a mouse is as natural as trying to draw with a brick”.

Wow, thank you all for your opinions. I am going to get one.

I know you’ve already been convinced… but I’m going to go ahead and speak my mind anyway.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and another yes. At first it won’t feel as natural as you might think… but I got one on sale about five years back (it was a older model Wacom Bamboo for 15 euros). While I was an alright pencil-and-paper type artist… my work sucked when working digitally with my tablet. But as time progressed… it started to feel more natural.

So without dragging that boring story out any longer… I guess what I’m getting at is that your life as an artist isn’t complete without a tablet. Sculpting, as well as texturing will become so much easier… and a lot more fun!

I know you already made your decision… I don’t do any sculpting, but I do have a graphics tablet - Wacom Intuos 2 - and had it for years. I like the lack of a wire on the mouse, and never needing to replace batteries or charging it. I sometimes use the pen for some photo work, otherwise its all mouse. The only problem is the mouse wheel slips a bit on my finger - I think I wore off all the ridges :slight_smile:

I just got my Bamboo. It will take time for me to get used to it, but I’m finding a lot of use for it already. Thank you all for your opinions.

That’s good to hear that you got it. It will help noticeably I’m thinking. I’m wondering jonim8or, did you use just default settings or did you have to set up things specially to use for modeling. I used one for modeling in modo and it was weird at first but wow I wish I could do this in blender. I will have to look into this. I used a tablet for sculpting, but forgot to try for modeling.