State Machine Event discussion

The rules are simple; Use the template provided to create a state machine. Each entry must replicate the features found in the template. You can modify the template and submit it as your entry. The winner will be decided by the participants, based on its simplicity and modularity.

TP_FP template.blend

I would like invite the forum to participate in our discussion as we hold this event. The event is open for all to participate and I would like everyone to ask questions or discuss your theories and implementations here. I will answer as many questions as I can and I invite everyone to share their wisdom.

Wikipedia defines it as “A mathematical model of computation used to design both computer programs and sequential logic circuits. It is conceived as an abstract machine that can be in one of a finite number of states. The machine is in only one state at a time; the state it is in at any given time is called the current state. It can change from one state to another when initiated by a triggering event or condition; this is called a transition. A particular FSM is defined by a list of its states, and the triggering condition for each transition.”

State machines are an integral part of game development used to create a variety of game mechanics, from simple light switches to advanced human behaviors. The logic bricks are a powerful set of tools for creating complex machines. Why do they have such a bad reputation?

The logic bricks are often criticized as being hard to use and difficult to maintain, but I don’t think they are. I found the design surprisingly simple and extremely versatile. I see no glaring flaws with their design, which makes me wonder why so many users dislike them.