best approach to texture my model?

I am new to Blender and this forum, so nice to meet you all.

I have been learning Blender for the past couple of weeks, and i made a few models.
Now I made a model of a space Fighter jet, and i have no clue what the best approach is for texturing it.
There are multiple ways to render/texture the image (Blender Render, cycles render etc) but what is the best?
And should i go for UV mapping? or are there any other methods that gets the job done?

This is the model i made so far : https://p3d.in/vJCGl

I am looking for a way to make it as realistic as possible, and im gonna put this model into a space environment (that i still have to create) when the texturing is done.

I hope anyone can help me.

Many ways to texture a model, could spend weeks on learning each method. IF you want light geometry then use Paint and baked maps. If they are just color use materials. Cycles has a bit more options, if you stay away from volume nodes you will render via GPU instead of using CPU… 15x’s faster in most cases. It really depends on what you are after. Instead of showing us a model I would suggest you show what you are after and a screen grab of your model… Do you want diamond plate or carbon fiber? Maybe white with dirt? How about rivets and or what appears to be ship’s pipes, radiators, etc?