How to connect a mesh vertex groups with an armature bones

I have this mesh and armature found in this blend file https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v4hopkgethsq5x/test%20(1).blend?dl=0. What I want to do is to connect the bones with the created vertex groups. And I don’t want to use automatic weighting option as this will create different and new vertex groups. I want to use the vertex groups I manually created in the attached blend file.
Please if anyone could please advise.

I have this mesh and armature found in this blend file https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v4hopkgethsq5x/test%20(1).blend?dl=0. What I want to do is to connect the bones with the created vertex groups. And I don’t want to use automatic weighting option as this will create different and new vertex groups. I want to use the vertex groups I manually created in the attached blend file.
Please if anyone could please advise.

You need to have the bone and the corresponding vertex group named -exactly- the same.
By example in your blend you have a bone named LeftArm but the vertex group you have that should correspond to that group is named LArm
That will then not work this way, rename so both bone and vertex group have the same name

Once you have done that for all your vertex groups/bones , delete your Armature Modifier and add a new one as i remember when renaming stuff, it can break the exisiting armature modifier so you need to delete/readd the modifier

select your mesh object, and give it an armature modifier in the modifiers panel, then specify which armature from the modifiers panel.

Thanks a lot! I don’t want to change the vertexgroups names, I want them to be 26 as I already did in the blend file I attached in the question, but I don’t know how, so I’d be very thankful if you could please have a look. As for example, you will see that I have four vertex groups for the head, but the armature has one bone. So if you could please have a look and let me know, I’d appreciate your advice

Thanks a lot! I don’t want to change the vertexgroups names, I want them to be 26 as I already did in the blend file I attached in the question, but I don’t know how, so I’d be very thankful if you could please have a look. As for example, you will see that I have four vertex groups for the head, but the armature has one bone. So if you could please have a look and let me know, I’d appreciate your advice

Please don’t start multiple threads in separate forums for the same question. Do it again and I’ll delete both of them, it’s much simpler for me than merging them !

Threads merged.

I’m very sorry for doing this, I didn’t know is the closest to me question. But I apologize again

Will you please tell me in detail how to do this please? I’m really stuck and need assistance. I just created the vertex groups and shown in the blend file and I want to link and associate them with weights to the armature. So I’d be very thankful if you could please have a look and let me know.

Will you please tell me in detail how to do this please? I’m really stuck and need assistance. I just created the vertex groups and shown in the blend file and I want to link and associate them with weights to the armature. So I’d be very thankful if you could please have a look and let me know.

I don’t know what else you want explained that hasn’t already been told to you.

Your vertex groups need to match the names of the corresponding bones exactly. If you don’t want to change the vertex group names, you’re going to have to change the bone names. One way or another they have to be the same.

Don’t worry about Modron’s instructions; you’ve already done those steps. All you need to do is fix the names.

Thanks for your reply. I already did that and renamed the bones. But the bones are not linked to the mesh, like if I moved the bone the mesh doesn’t deform depending on the bones movement, the only thing that happens when I rename the bones to have the same name as the vertex group is that I find a weight 1 assigned to the vertex group in the weight labeling view.

From the file, the armature modifier is setup correctly, except its not enabled, press the eye icon to enable, display in realtime.
With the mesh selected, the armature modifier is located in Properties > Modifiers.

Like people have said, the problem is the vertex groups have different names compared to the armature bones.
To rename the armature bone, with the bone selected in Edit mode or Pose Mode, go to Properties > Bone > Name.
To rename the vertex groups, with the mesh selected, go to the Properties > Mesh/Data > Vertex Groups panel.

You could remove the vertex groups, then reparent with Empty or Auto weights, this will auto name the vertex groups, but the weights for the vertex groups will have to be done again.

From the file, it looks like youve done all the weight painting on one vertex group, LShoulder.
I dont know if there is an easy way to transfer these weights to individual vertex groups, so you may have to redo the weight painting.

Heres the file, with the armature modifier enabled, and the left arm vertex group renamed.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/31466

For the head, you can only use one vertex group with one bone, because they use same name, if you want 4 vertex groups, you will also need 4 bones, one bone for each vertex group.

Thank you very much Dirty-stick :yes:

Thanks again