Volumetric Water?

I’ve been trying to make a realistic water material for some time now, with no success. This is the closest I’ve come to one.

It uses Wardiso shading at full blast, and Raytrace transparency at 0.2 with the IOR at 1.33. There’s also a slight mirror effect applied, and a displacement texture. The problem is that this is not realistic at all.

If you look at real water, you’ll notice that it’s not uniformly blue.
If you fill a bathtub with water, it’s initially clear, but as more and more builds up, its blue colour starts to show.

I’m just wondering if such an effect is possible with Blender. I know there’s a “volume” option for meshes, but I’m unsure how to use that. If anyone could provide a way to get an effect of that sort, it would be much appreciated!

In the latest versions of blender the support for volumetric materials has been added.
In Cycles you can :
In the node editor ( but you can do n the material tab too) connect a normal glass shader in the surface output of the material, and a volume absorption in the volume output, then changing the volume color to some dark blue / whatever color you want the water to be and adjusting the density.

Like that:

Tell me if you need more help :).
P.S. if you’re using BI i can’t help you

1 Like

@Thanzex: I don’t think he means that, although it’s a decent replica. I think he means the thicker the water, the less see-through it is, and the ripples are able to deform the visibility through it.

I’m pretty sure he means Volumetric Shading. I know how to do it, but I can’t explain it because I have to go now
If you see one on youtube with a chess piece icon, that’s the best video to watch

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

That’s what Thanzex’s node setup shows - real volumetric shading.

The Chess piece example on youtube (I assume you mean the one below) - is actually a cheat for simulating volumetric absorption using the light path node. This is was a workaround to get volumetric type effects before true volumetric absorption was implemented for cycles.

Of course you can still use this approach in the latest versions of blender - however we now have the option of a true volumetric absorption node too.

edit: not sure this approach is going to work for the OP - re-reading their post - it looks like they are using BI, not cycles (due to their reference to Wardiso - which is a BI option)

Yep, I’m using BI :frowning:

However, all of the suggestions would work perfectly. Thanks very much for the help!