Point and click adventure with rpg elements

Hi to all.
we are new here and new at blender
First of all i want to say that i was surprised about what blender can do and all of you ofcourse.
We made the switch from maya-carrara to blender in very short time blender is awesom.

I want to show and tell you about our project,and ask questions ofcourse.
Our idea is an old school sierra style point and click adventure game with rpg elements but in 3d.Yes we are talking abou a quest for glory clone.
The story is in development and beleve me its very deep.
So we are curently 2 people working on this plus a forum member BluePrintRandom witch provide us with helpfull advices and tips.
Basicaly me pagio and my partener ilias are working on the game models and textures.I make the enviroment objects houses,props,decoration etc and ilias is working on organic models we make the humanoid characters in makehuman and we customize the clothes and stuff in blender we also animate in blender.
We create textures in gimp and texture maker we also use textures from web (cg textures etc)
So the thing is we dont know anything about coding we know what needs to be done but we dont know how
We alredy got help like i sed before from BluePrintRandom witch he is realy good but if more people come along and form a strong team i think its possible for the project to be complete and when i say complete i mean complete to be a commercial product.
Dont get me wrong we are not aiming to make something like AAA quality all i am saying is to make something good looking with solid gameplay mechanics and stable to run in most systems.
Take for example the quality of Sherlock holmes the awakening thats what we are aiming.
The game world is not large and the npc number is about 18 not including the enemyes so i think its posible even for a little team to achive something good.
Anybody with any skill who is interested in this project is welcome to join
But now the onemillion dolar question i know blender is exelent in modeling cycles renders things like real life with minimum effort.The game engine is capaple to make this project and be stable and run smooth on decent pcs?I dont suggest that is not i am just asking.
and some photos from the models(diffuse only materials i dint have time to learn more about glsl materials)

This looks really cool! I’d be happy to help. I’m currently working on my own project but if you have any questions, especially about gameplay coding, but also about GLSL texturing or model making, you can message me :smiley:

More coming soon

I made a test scene with 3 trees terrain and some rocks 62540 faces simple difuse materrials with normal on the terrain and alpha transparency on the tree leaves.My queston is when i move away from the scene the frame rate is going up but when i move close the frame rate goes down i dont have any LOD or something.Why this is happening any way to improve performance even some things i tryed like disable shadows disable transparency etc not seem to solve the problem

work in progress

A little bit information about the game
So the game world would be like this at the center will be the town were most of the npcs are this will be the starting point of the game.
Then there will be 2 gates to go out of the city North and South,So south area will be forest and north area will be more mountain like in this areas there will be other places like a monastery a lake hunters cabin a lost town etc.At while you can theoriticaly travel all the map from the beging of the game the north part will be covered by deep fog so the sun rays do not reatch the ground with all theyr power so a vampire like creatures can walk the area even at day and they canot be killed until later of the game.Some other areas will be not accesable until a puzzle-event happens.The enemyes will random spawn in the areas of the forest and mountains and scripted encounters in the other areas.The camera will be fixed that way we will know exacly what is visible at any given time so we can optimize the game.
There will be also a day-night cycle i am thinking for the areas like town monastery etc when the night comes a cutscene to play like closing the windows lighting the candles etc shenmue like thing.I also want to keep very simple the every day routine of every npc so it will be easy to program.For example A farmer morning-afternoon working on a field afternoon-night at the tavern Late night to morning home sleeping.There will not be many npc so i think is doable.
More info coming soon
And another question lets say i want to seperate the west area of the forest in 6 scenes in blender but i dont want to have loading screens between them is it posible when entering this area all 6 are loadet in the ram so when changing the scene no loading needet?

that sounds interesting but possibly difficult to make!
About the scene issue, unfortunately I actually have issues with getting scenes to work in my game myself, so I can’t really be much help there.

Sound like a really good game, the trick is to not use scenes :stuck_out_tongue: Check out how I do it in my Ascent game.

Some character models.
And a few things about the story,it’s a story about the ressurection of an ancient vampire lord by an cult in a medieval Greek town.To support the story we are creating a deep lore that tells the story from the beggining of time and the conflicts between humans and vampires/demons but what is known to the world isn’t necessary the truth.The truth will unravel to the player as the game progress.

At the begining of the game the only thing known to you is the dissapearence of the daughter of a friend of yours that she was having before her being lost a strange visitor,believed to be from that area,so you are going there to search for her.

About the actual game,there would be 3 classes:fighter,mage,thieve.The main differences will be in puzzles,in the way to progress the story(ala Quest for Glory games).

And here is an early walk cycle animation!

Finaly the cityhall is ready

Nice looks great! Was the animation and hair models done in Blender? Just fyi the walk animation seams a little bit choppy like he sinks down or something. Oh also you’re thinking of ‘cult’, not ‘occult’.

Thank you very much my friend for your kind words and your feedback :slight_smile: You are right about the animation,I did it a bit in a rush,I was impatient to post it!I corrected it and I’ll upload the new one asap :slight_smile:

Awsome can’t wait to see more progress :slight_smile:

Very nice! I definitely look forward to seeing the final product. Although I have 5 long projects I need to get done, if you need any advice, especially on game theory or modeling, I can help :slight_smile:

Although I can say with absolute certainty that you have a long way to go, I thing you have a good start and that many people just as enthusiastic will come join you on your quest for a complete game :slight_smile:

If you want any single model, I can also do that

Question: how long did it take you and how are you with the game mechanics?

I will try to emboss some details on the texture to see what happens.

Next stop cookies!!!

The house is still in development

Nice work,!

you are setting up LOD Levels and testing the stuff in a scene?

Here is the corrected version of the walk cycle animation :slight_smile:

Thanx BluePrintRandom
I am learning the lods they are working great.I am also learning about landscaping.
And my partener continue working on animations and characters.