Gibson SG Series

Older Blender Project (less than 3 months old, though):

To challange my beginner Blender skills I took on modelling a guitar. I think every beginning Blender artiste should try and make one so here’s mine. I don’t play guitar so I don’t own one but the Gibson SG Series looked like a good contender. After studying plenty of reference material, this is what I came up with. One million faces (I didn´t know better … my current steam locomotive currently stands at 400k faces). Nevertheless … I was very proud so I thought I’d share :slight_smile: :

Level of detail:

A few more quick detail renders :

Just did a quick render with SubSurf 1 instead of 2 and it all still looks very detailed so I can rest my heart knowing the guitar isn’t modelled as n00bish as I thought. 250k faces now:

I wouldn’t be able to tell it apart from my own SG. Very very impressive, congrats. materials are excellent!

Thank you very much! That means a lot to me :slight_smile:

Really nice work, I love that guitar! It’s a little on the noisy side, but I can see you put a lot of work into this, and the materials do look good. :slight_smile: I made one a little while back, I’m not going to spam your thread with it, so if you want you can check it out in my profile. :smiley:

really nice work on the reflections

One of the best guitar models I’ve seen here - Even if I’m more of a Fender guy;)
All the pieces are so well detailed and shaded. Specially loved the modeling you did of the lower E string! The varnish is also fantastic.
maybe it would be nice to crank up the number of samples for the detail shots renders, but I know well how our machines suffer when comes the time to render…
congrats

This is soooooo cool! 5 stars from me :slight_smile:
Once I’ve had a Gibson Les Paul myself :slight_smile:

Sorry … have been pre-occupied for a while :expressionless: Hence no replies.

I most certainly will! Thanks for your kind words :slight_smile:

thanks! :slight_smile: I used a free studio HDRI - http://free3dnews.blogspot.nl/2011/11/free-hdri-studio-packs.html

Tyvm sir! I doubted if I should do the Strat but since this guitar project came along as a sort of mini-contest between me and a friend (to hone our Blender-skills) and he was already doing the Fender, I figured the next best thing was in order. Took me a blueprint and 43 reference pics to be able to grasp what an SG really looks like. Was fun reading up on it’s history too!

I’m affraid my friend gave up so I’m looking for a Blender bud.

:eek: Stars even! Thanks!

From what I understand, you owned Gibson’s best guitar! :slight_smile: As stated above, I wanted to compete with the Stratocaster but I sure read a lot about the Les Paul and the man himself. Even put on some typical Gibson sounds from YouTube while I was modelling the guitar :smiley: I must say … modelling while having relevant tunes on helps a LOT.

Excellent stuff, do like me an SG. Great attention to detail. :slight_smile: