Object solving with fixed camera

I’m trying the object solving in Blender but I don’t how how to do if the camera is not moving ?

I follow this video for example : http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/12/07/blender-overview-of-object-tracking-in-tomato-branch/
It works because the camera is generated by the first part of the work in the camera solving. But what if the camera is not moving? I did the same step, but when I solved the object and constrain an object to it. It doesn’t follow it at all. No empty are created at this moment. Is that normal after the solving? It should display my marker in the 3D view no?

What did I wrong?

You don’t need to solve the camera. Just add the object (in clip editor) as shown in the video, track the features there and solve that. However, you do need to add a camera solver constraint to the camera object in order to see the 3d tracks, even if you didn’t track anything for the camera at all.

Also try the Blam addon https://github.com/stuffmatic/blam for recreating a 3d camera from a static image. But it needs parallel lines in the image to work.

Ok thank you for the trick.
Indeed it works fine with a constraint to the object and the markers are is displayed as Empty with a camera solver constraint.

:slight_smile:

Cool, glad it works! And man, awesome portfolio! Looking at that makes me curios what you’ll come up with using blender’s object tracking! :slight_smile:

Yesterday I did some object tracking with fixed camera. During shooting it was not intended to be tracked, so it wasn’t prepared for this task. It made the process of placing markers and tweaking them really painful.
When I placed and tracked everything I realized that I was working on “Camera”, not “Object”…
I thought I’d jump off the bridge… Luckily there IS an option that saved my life: You CAN copy tracked markers from camera to object or between objects…
What a relief… I wasn’t aware of this.

Thank you :slight_smile:
I’m giving a little workshop about composting and tracking soon, so, I’m trying to do what I can do in Nuke with Blender as much as possible.

Bartek > thanks for the trick, can be very usefull too!