NwBlndrtist sketchbook

Hello, this is my first entry in a sketchbook.

The first images are the sculpting sessions of a male torso. The first session took about 30 minutes to sculpt.

The second session took roughly 10 minutes, using only the snake hook and the masking tool.

Hello, I have been trying to create an occlusion effect in the viewport to help in the sculpting. The images show a bust I have sculpted showing the effect for the three matcap images I have applied to the materials. The downside to this is that during the sculpting, you cannot use the masking tools.

Here is some progress on the torso. Using the snake hook and mask, I grew out the arms and a head. The ears are pretty hard to sculpt. But I think I got the proportion and anatomy right. Still need to finish on the hands and maybe need to finish the head itself.

I have been delving into the pdf book by Andrew Loomis on how to draw the human head.

As you know, The head has a width of 3 units and the depth and height of 3 and a 1/2 units. Obviously, this divides the face so that the 4 parts would cover from the top of the head to the hairline, hairline to the eyebrows, eyebrows to the nose, and nose to the chin.

But what is not obvious, is that dividing the face in thirds or quarters allows precision in drawing the certain parts of the face. In dividing the face in quarters, the height of the head would be 14 unit. In seven units from the top of the head, the eyes are drawn accurately.

But if you divide the head in thirds, you can draw the top and bottom lips and the top and bottom eye lines. Also, you can draw where the tip of the nose is.

Therefore, dividing the head in 3 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 units can allow you to place the features of the head more accurately.

Although a circle can cover most of the head in the front view, it cannot cover all of the cranium in the side view because the cranium is 1/4 longer than the circle. Therefore, as the side diagram shows, another circle 1/4 unit away from the first is important to accurately describe the length of the cranium.

But what’s more, is that this diagram shows that if this line goes through the second circle, they would cross where the middle of the eye would be.

If the line can extend to a grid, it would form the half plane of the face from which the features of the face can be drawn.

From this plane and using the unit as a guide, we can determine where to draw the parts of the face such as the corners of the eyes, the ends and peaks of the eyebrows and the nostrils