Union Pacific 119 Replica

Ok, as a Blender beginner I probably bit off more than I can chew so this will be one of those long-term-WIPs.
I have no affinity with trains but thought this one looked cool so started modelling. Little did I know this is a famous engine (with quite a history) - for I’m not American (I’m betting a lot more Americans know about the history of this train).

I also underestimated how many parts are on locs to look at (so to be modelled!). When I’m done with this I’ll probably know more about steam engines than I’ve ever known!

Anyway ; your critique is welcomed. Just keep in mind this is far from finished. :slight_smile:

Edit : Latest render :

Render from first post :

First render:

Little update:

You probably might think that nothing has been done but you’d be mistaken. Since I have no blueprint and only a few reference pics of acceptable resolution to my availability I’ve been doing a lot of adjusting (repositioning / rescaling) to try and match the “real” deal. I think I have everything in place now but footage is rare and I have yet to figure out what many of the parts of the undercarriage look like. When I have enough realism that it’ll pass for a still render I’ll put this project on hold until I can get more details about this engine. I’m not quite there yet, though!

Update : Adjusted lighting and some material colors. Also needed to shift around some parts to make everything fit (the more I’m adding, the more everything needs to be adjusted since a lot of parts are (mechenically) connected). When everything is modelled, all textures will get an overhaul (these are just for coördination). Ultimately, I’ll be going for a desert setting with some background modelling.

I know just how you feel. I recently started a locomotive project almost exactly like this, and I got swept up in learning every mechanical part to get it accurate. Amazing machines that deserve a closer inspection. Good choice for the color scheme.

Any plans for animation?

btw: unfortunate nobody else has commented as of yet since this is a wonderful start

show us some closer shots
so we can better see mesh and mat

background is a little low poly !

bottom wood of cabin on right seems to be a bit off !

wheel link bars looks a bit low poly !

some round bars brass on top looks like hanging in air !

but overall good modeling

happy cl

Yeah! I figured I would learn more than I’d ever needed to know about steam engines but the weird thing is … the more detail I’m adding to the Blender project, the more I’m learning about the subject of what I’m modelling. And I love that!

Good choice for the color scheme.

Not my choice :slight_smile: I’m trying to model this after the Union Pacific 119 1979 Replica which is an existing engine. Colors are predetermined :slight_smile: . Whilst modeling this loc I’ve also learned a lot about it’s history and US history in general. You might find this interesting : www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2A2NEaRqg

Any plans for animation?

Ooh, I wish! I’m still in the process of learning to use Blender and haven’t rigged anything yet. I can only imagine rigging this loc would be daunting for me, to say the least!

btw: unfortunate nobody else has commented as of yet since this is a wonderful start

That’s why I’m thrilled to have you commenting on it :slight_smile: Thanks for your kind words. I hope you’ll stick around to see how it’ll all pan out.

I’ll certainly work on that and will poset some details soon (deep in the AM here so this will have to wait until tomorrow).

background is a little low poly !

Bacground is low res hdr :slight_smile: Nothing there but bitmap

bottom wood of cabin on right seems to be a bit off !

Yeah … I just started working on the cabin. It’s far from finished and might look odd now.

wheel link bars looks a bit low poly !

Ow, but they’re not. I’ll do a detail render of those too … tomorrow.

some round bars brass on top looks like hanging in air !

Yup. The bell and some piping and some other stuff is still suspended in mid air. All this will be corrected. Keep in mind, this is a WIP.

but overall good modeling

Thanks!

happy cl

Always :slight_smile: Assuming “cl” means something warm & fuzzy

Ok … still awake and technically it’s tomorrow (4AM) so I figured I’d post them detail renders :’)

not trying to be pushy here just giving some general comments

i took time to look at some pics on web for this machine
and the wheel’s links are very polished
I was expecting more cast iron type then chromy !

looks like high res modeling which looks very nice even in close shots

keep going it should be a very nice model

Note: I use cl for cycles and bl for blender
and I assume here your doing it with cycles!

how many verts up to now ?

I would suggest that for a nice model like that try to find a nicer HDR map

happy bl

Ow, but I like it when you’re pushy :slight_smile: your comments drive me to better Blendering

i took time to look at some pics on web for this machine
and the wheel’s links are very polished
I was expecting more cast iron type then chromy !

Yeah … all textures are basicly placeholders now. I’ll be doing a full texture overhaul when I’m done modeling :slight_smile:

looks like high res modeling which looks very nice even in close shots

keep going it should be a very nice model

Thanks! I’m aiming for a passable render, not an accurate model. When most is built so that it looks good from chosen camera angle I’ll start working on background modeling.

Note: I use cl for cycles and bl for blender
and I assume here your doing it with cycles!

O hell, yeah! I started using Blender when cycles was integrated so I’m pretty much a Cycles man. Never used Blender internal so far. For me, Blender and Cycles are the same.

> how many verts up to now ?

430542 (edit : with subsurf level 1 on most parts)

> I would suggest that for a nice model like that try to find a nicer HDR map

Ultimately I’m hoping to build enough background items so that the hdr won’t be visible anymore (all in view = 3D then). Until that time I chose this hdr for the nice dessert-like reflections I get from it :slight_smile:

happy bl

ty! :smiley: