hi friends… =D
i know it’s such a weird topic but…
what are steps for making game i mean tell me how you gus begin a project
i go like that 1 i get idea in mind
2 directly model the character {withour refrence image}
3 work on it sometime
4 lose interest
5 try thinking something else… =P
it’s maybe because i don’t start project systematically.
i am not new to BGE but still i haven’t completed any project till now =(
please advice me how to begin the project and tell me about stuff like concept art, character design, and other stuff…

This has happened to me lots, I think the main part is having to actually be devoted to doing it, posting updates on a regular basis like here in the WIP section. Otherwise you feel like you can just toss the project into the corner of your hard-drive with all the rest of your abandoned works, and don’t have a real incentive to continue once the interest is gone.

I don’t start a game project until I have a stack of paper at least 10-15 pages thick. By the end of the project, it will be many many more pages.
Even ‘simple’ games take a lot of work, and, things should be carefully planned.

Things it is important to define:

• When is the game considered done?
  • What will the player do?
  • How will the player interact with the game?
  • What will the player learn?
  • What is the graphics style?

Then I start working. I work in a strange ‘fusion’ pattern.
I’ll spend a week doing little other than coding. Then I’ll spend a couple days working on a model for in the game, then another week coding a standalone module to handle something random (eg lighting), then a couple days working on the in-game menu’s. If I spend more than a week on a single aspect of the game, I get bored with it. So to keep interest I simply keep changing.

It also means that if I stop developing a game, I have things I can use in later ones, as my code is written very modularly (because I don’t write it in a big chunk). That said, my hard drive does have a good 5 or 6 main character objects drifting around waiting for motivation. I have a stack of txt documents outlining various game ideas that will possibly never get worked on. And so on.

Have a look at some other similar threads as well, such as this one.

Also, being to dumb to give up helps. If I hit a problem, I often find I self-nerd-snipe.

self-nerd-snipe.LOL the physist

so you mean i should write down about game i am going to make highlighting its key points
then make a time table of doing the work on it

thanks i think this is helpful i haven’t tried to write about game before

can you tell me more about what to wrtie about game before actually starting to develop it?

I have no problem to start. I have problem finishing it. :spin:

Set up your own priorities. Like everything, I begin with “roughs” that are easy to change or discard. I think most important is the enemy AI behavior first. For maps, I make sure that they have diferent paths in them and things to do before decorating them. For attacks, I animate them first including character reactions, then I implement them. I use timer conditions a lot. You simply divide the total number of frames in your animation by the number of frames per second and you get your animation lenght translated into 1s instead of 30 frames or 60s. It’s pretty simple.

Reason why I even didn’t start working on an actual game is so I could spend time figuring out what is possible and what is not. So it depends on what type of game you want to make. If you know it’s possible to make it to your satisfaction with Blender, than the game development process can begin. It’s like cooking a luxurious meal by heart. You first need to construct a recipe with ingredients you can attain. If you can attain only a few you should consider cooking a smaller dish.

Frankly, I can only talk theoretically about what steps to take. But as I’m trying to point out your resolve will be firm if you know you can finish the job. Steps are:

• define a conceptual idea, which will also determine the game genre (a list of genres)
  • write a story accompanied with concept art (this is the hardest part i.m.o.)
  • write a scenario (scene based story with final dialogs)
  • draw a storyboard, accompanied with structural design of the workings of the game
  • complete with sound (music, fx, voice, …)
  • continue the project in Blender:
    a) file management
    b) make dummies while constructing scenes, write necessary code
    c) create final objects, actions, animation, …
    d) replace dummies, write the rest of the code
    e) adjust while testing
    f) finalize

Well, I write anything I think is important:

• The layout of every screen in the games menu
  • Any other user interfaces
  • How levelling up works
  • How levels are stored/loaded
  • File structure, or overal game as well as individual config/other files.
  • A million flow charts showing how data flows around the game (particularly if you plan a network component, or even save/load)
  • Concept art, mainly rough sketches
  • Any custom fonts you plan to make
  • How you will deal with problems in-game (eg packet loss, lag, or player falling off the map etc)

Storyline is the only one I would recomend a computer for, at least while you are writing it initially. Then print it out, and for your own sake, don’t change it too much!

But don’t think of this as a chore that has to be done. Just when you have an idea, pull out paper before blender, and keep doing so until you have enough ideas to join together. My most recent project was mainly written about in 10-minute breaks between lectures. (Definitely none done in the lectures :cough::slight_smile: )

hmmmm… so the conclusion is - write about game before actually making it

Yup, you have to know what you’re building before you build it.

They don’t go:

• I want to build a building here
  • What builders can I hire
  • Ok, they built it

They go:

• I want to build a building here
  • Where’s a designer to figure out what it looks like? (Concept work)
  • Where’s an engineer to make sure it stays upright? (Planning)
  • Where’s someone to certify that I can build here and comply with regulations (ie Network, cross platform etc)
  • Where’s a builder to build it? (Now we can start coding and modeling)
  • Ok, done.

In a typical engineering project, the building it is <10% of the actual project time/cost. They can build a building in a matter of abouit a month, but to get the paperwork done takes years.
Unfortunately it’s rarely like that in the game development scene, and as a result there are many dead projects.

Well, personally what I did is I looked for inspiration from other games, and I started working out a world, a little bit of lore borrowed from a story I’m writing (it’s an rpg), started figuring out exactly what I want in the gameplay, made lists of stuff I want in the game (ie some items, game mechanics, etc), figured out the general premise of the story and more specific things that I want to happen to the player or for the player to do (all that wasnt exactly in that order). Then when I started coding all I did was made a player box, added a camera, set up movement, and I’m currently coding everything that the player can possible do stand-alone. When I finish that I’ll start making landscapes, buildings, characters, items, all the assets. Then I’ll start coding what each item does and then I’ll start putting everything together with the story/quests, then I’ll add more content where it’s necessary.

man! you guys are smart
BTW i think this thread should be sticky