Lag with texture painting. A way to save texture without seeing the UV/Image Editor ?

Hi,

I have a very large texture to paint (16384 x 16384 px) which is the front of a building (I try at 4096 and 8192px but I have not enough resolution). If I have the 3D view (where I paint) and the UV/image Editor opened, it’s slow cause each time I finish a brush stroke, the texture in UV/Image Editor is updated. So, I click Shift + Space to be in full screen for the 3D view and it’s smooth but as I want to save my texture regularly, I have to switch back to the previous view with both UV/Image Editor and 3D view opened and it’s really, really slow : it takes many seconds to open the Image menu and to save the image and once image saved, many seconds so I can paint again.

If I paint in the UV/Image Editor, it lags even in Full Screen.

I also tried the last builds.

Is there a way to save the image without viewing the image Editor ?

As I am a beginner in Texture Painting, perhaps there are things I missed to improve performance ?

Ok, a strange thing. I just closed the UV/Image Editor (using Join Area) and opened it again and it works. There a very little lag after each stroke but it’s workable.

That’s said, the image take seconds to be save (it’s a 4.75 Mb .png). Is this the best format to work with ?

With this, you could maybe take advantage of the Texture Paint Layer Manager addon since it has a single button in the N panel to allow saving all painted images with a press.

In painting buildings that have repetitive parts, sometimes it is best to use a decent resolution image and unwrap many parts that are the same to the same space in the UV Image editor so that painting an area of 2k x 2k in effect paints 3/4 or so of your model - that way you can conserve texture space.

Thanks for advice :).

For the building, unfortunatly, even if the parts are repetitive, it would be too obvious if I use the same pattern for all parts. It’s this building (from Architecture Academy) : http://photos13.free.fr/Blender/AA/Reference_-_Netherlands_Building.jpg

I would separate your model into Alt-D instances for parts that are completely duplicated, so that a column edited and painted is propogated along - same for the mini columns, the windows, etc. Or I would just use vertex paint and high poly geo to get the detail amount to satisfy the eye in Cycles. It should be an interesting project, congratulations.

Yes, columns, windows and balconies are already instances. I’ll see how it will render. The modeling is finished : http://photos13.free.fr/Blender/AA/European_exterior2.jpg and it’s the first time I’m gonna try to do a texture myself. Usually, I pick one and try to match the model but in this case, I think it will be better to match for example where the blocks are joined and the variations of the stone color.

If using Cycles, you can use Box mapping on an Image Texture to add the stone variation, and vertex dirt can help get the different tones.