Jaguar XKR-S

Time for another project, this time the Jaguar XKR-S. One of my favorite Jaguars out there.
I was going to get all technical in this post about the different ways I could go about modelling, and what I was going to do, but then I realized that I still don’t know beans about any of this. :stuck_out_tongue:
I will start with a spline cage to help with the shape, and the go piece by piece focusing on smooth shape and then details.
I am planning on pushing myself and the model this project, and once the model is perfect then I will start to do a bunch of renders. but more on that later.

Spline cages coming soon!

ctdabomb

----Update: current progress----

Here they are! Let’s see if they help me at all.

Started work on the hood yesterday evening. not done yet, but I wanted to post it so it doesn’t seem like I am not working on this.

Nice and clean as it should be. Keep it up!

Done with the hood! We will see how the additions hold up on some closeup shots later. Now on to the next part!

It looks like you’re already off to a strong start out of the gates! The hood looks great, nice and smooth to my eyes. Can’t wait to see more!

Thanks Icon and James, means a lot to me!
next part done:

I also forgot to mention this earlier, but the paint shader is based off of Papa_Dragon’s (syblend? here on ba) shader, just improved a bit.

Sorry for the delay, I was putting this off and found other stuff to do.
Here it is though, a few more errors this time, but they will be fixed.

This looks very promising, keep up the great work!

ther’s that circle thing just below the headlight are that’s ruining the flow of reflections… but im sure you know that already

but hat’s off to the topology… couldn’t have figured it out better myself.

Thanks! I will try.

Yes, I definitely noticed it. I was guessing it would cause problems, but I wanted to try anyway. I will probably delete it and use a normal map or something.
About the topology, it is a lot easier I find when you take it a piece at a time, both the get better looking topology and a smoother mesh.

Well, two more parts added and the front circle thing mentioned above is fixed.
The door was tougher to make than I was expecting it to be, and turned out rather meh.
I accidentally rendered it out at full rez, so enjoy.

Dude I see you use spline cage technic to model your car, any advantages your get doing this when compared to regular poly modelling? By the way nice results so far!

Great work so far!

Sorry I haven’t updated in a bit. Can I use the busy excuse?

Thanks!

It helps. I don’t use it though the way most people do though I think. Most people use it for snapping to when modelling I think. I use it more as a bit of a 3d blueprint to help me get the right shape and so I don’t get having to go back to the image blueprints as much. My actual modelling technique is still the same old way.
Either way you use it. Spline cages do pretty much the same thing.
Short answer: it helps.

I finally had some time to model, but I don’t know what happened. I struggled for over an hour… :s
http://pasteall.org/pic/77104
Definitely need to redo it. :frowning:

Here is a little not update:
Sorry I haven’t modelled anything for this in a while. I just haven’t had any time to work on this. As you may have seen I have had some time to render a bit though…
I haven’t given up or anything, and will be sure to work on this when I have time.

Progress!

A bit more done… Next up is bump killing. The door is the biggest area to fix, I have no clue how the topo should be. Any suggestions?

Sometimes more geometry is better and can kill the bumps :slight_smile: