Character Portrait - Lyra Verricke

Greetings all,

It is with great pleasure that I present to you my first official Character portrait of my scarlet blade inspired character, now with less scarlet blade, a slight bit more realism, and a stunning Formal Gown with jewelry to match. I’ve learned tons from character rendering as well as clothes making and hundreds of other things, while working on her. I’m on my way out with this lovely lady, and she dressed herself with such a gorgeous evening gown, with a beautiful set of jewelry to match. (If only she was real. xD)

Since I started to render her, I’ve been thinking of making a formal Gown for her, for some unknown reason. While doing so, I’ve also modeled several sets of Jewelry for her, I might be moving way from cars a bit more and maybe try my hand at other subjects just to get the hang of things all round. Her clothes are a combination of standard modeling and sculpting as well as displacements and various texture effects.Over the past few months of working on this character on and off. This character portrait gave me a challenge in a lot of areas, including texturing. I’ve added the finer details such as skin blemishes and some faintly visible blood veins.

The SSS (Subsurface Scattering) shader I originally made has gone under a major re-design process in order to attempt at making her skin look as real as I could possible make it with my current knowledge of how SSS works.

I’ve tried to make Ms Lyra Verricke Imperfectly, perfect. I might be looking back at this portrait a few years from now and maybe re-visit this character, but for now, I’m proud to present her to you guys. :slight_smile:

Her jewelry is designed with a purple shaded set of gems and surrounded with tons of diamonds, to attempt to make these as expensive as I could while keeping them fairly realistic.

Hope you guys like the end result. :smiley:

Samples: 3000 (Portrait)
Render Time: 6 hours GPU (Portrait)

Samples: 1000 (Full Body)
Render Time: 45 minutes GPU Per frame(Full Body)

Programs Used:

Blender 3D (Cycles) - Modeling, rigging, posing, rendering, lighting, compositing
Adobe Photoshop - Textures

[ATTACH=CONFIG]327880[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327881[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327882[/ATTACH]

Ring and Gloves and the Jewelry I made for the outfit. :slight_smile:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327883[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327938[/ATTACH]

Nice job dude! Here are some things I noticed. The cloth looks a little odd (not enough transparency/translucency), and it looked just the slightest bit too glossy. Also, the skin had a little bit too much SSS, but I guess that’s just me. Also, her proportions are a bit off, because her arms looked a little odd, and her legs are a lot longer than normal. Finally, the hair (it’s hard to get right) just looks weird.
Seriously though, I must commend you on the amount of detail you went to in making everything, especially the jewelry. It was great. Keep it up!

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks a ton for the critique, it is greatly appreciated, as for her proportions, the character is inspired from the MMO RPG “Scarlet Blade”, which had a fairly odd proportion to them, I’m in the process of adjusting her proportions to appear more realistic and anatomically correct. As for the clothing, my failed attempt at adding a “Velvet” cloth material to some parts, which are a bit glossy.

As for the skin itself, I’ve been working on a SSS shader for a while, and trying to rap my head around how the shader looks, and how to create realistic skin. Aside from the textures, the actual overall appearance (which is mostly dependent on textures).

As a result, I’ve been working a bit more on specifically the shader, (scrapped my old one, used above) and here is a quick result of the new shader I’m working on, not directly using the SSS node, but trying to fake, as I can still render it with the GPU, unlike the SSS Node that isn’t supported by the gpu at the moment.

Any and all feedback are welcome. :slight_smile:

EDIT: This is my most recent update, and now I wish I knew what I know now before I rendered the above portrait.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328188[/ATTACH]

she remember me a lot to Ivy from Soul Calibur, this character is the same on your last work?
is pretty cool :).

Hi Joseperez,

Indeed she is, however I’m attempting to make her more realistic, as I feel that it could be great to have a realistic looking character that still suites my taste haha. Glad to know you like it, thank you. ^^

WoW!!! THIS IS SUPER PRO COOL!!!

Thank you my friend, far from being pro, but trying to get there. :wink:

Cool stuff.

You’ll get there pal, I have great hopes for you!

…mind you, your almost there anyway :wink:

Cheers,

Haha thank you very much, appreciate the support, I am in the process of doing another scene of this particular character, though since sharing this piece I’ve improved on many things, hopefully eventually I can make her look good enough to pass as a really good looking character. xD

Well Xelus, if you need particular help with this new scene or your character just post the question or problem here or PM me. I’ll be glad to help you :wink:

Good Night Folks,

Jim