Is it possible show TEXT backface in game? ( Yes! Special Way: A good BUG solved it )

I want to build a 3D text object in the game, it’s an article with 30.000 words.
If convert it to mesh, the game run very solw, but use Text object, run very fast.
But the TEXT can not show the bcakface in the game, how to solve it?

---- EDIT at 2014-10-28 ----

Yeah! I found it! Very easy, You can try it in BGE:

(1) Add two Text, one face to you, another rotate 180 degree backface to you.
(2) Press P test game, you can see only one Text, the one face to you.
(3) Add a mesh object -> Give it a Material -> Game Settings -> disable Backface Culling.
(3-1) ---- EDIT at 2014-10-29 ---- If in Linux System, mesh object’s Material -> must enable Transparency & Use Z Transparency
(4) Now, Press P test game, So the Text backface show! You can see only two Text objects, face to you & backface to you.
Just one mesh object disable Backface Culling can let TEXT backface show, other objects can still keep enable Backface Culling.

---- Yes, it seems a BUG, a good BUG to me. :slight_smile:
---- Do not fix it, please! :stuck_out_tongue:

Why you would want to do that?

ok, in fact, I’m building a 3D software, not a 3D game.
this sofrware can edit an article ---- I ask how to input Chinese in game 3 months ago;
this sofrware can chioce the show type in pose menu ---- I ask how to popup menu a few weeks ago;
this sofrware can scroll display article by mouse wheel ---- I ask how to set up the priority yesterday.
Thanks all people who helped me.

After PC deskop system & cellphone system, pepple needs a 3D system in the future,
so I try to prove Blender can help people build 3D software easy and fast. (Even I don’t know write a program script.)

Build 3D game, it will waste young people’s money, time & life to play it, nothing help for them.
But build 3D software, maybe it can drive a new market of software, and then many young people can find a good job in the future…maybe, just maybe.

I mean why you want to see the text from the other side?
Especially long text would be a bit hard to read.

Just disable back-face culling if it is a bitmap. If it isn’t, then you can’t view the back due to the way the Blender Game text is coded, I believe.

yeah, I sort each chapter along a circle, so I need to rotate this circle, let player chioce chapter.
when player click a chapter, it will show more content.
All this in 3D view, the text cannot show backface at another side of circle.

And I need setup logic, mouse wheel up/down — camera zoom out/in,
when mouse over this cycle, mouse wheel up/down — rotate this cycle.

I can not use bitmap, only can use text object. Because my language is Chinese, Latin alphabet only 26, Chinese have 3,8000.

There is not much use then the text is mirrored (I do not know about Chinese letters).

I suggest you use two font objects. One for front and one for back. This way it can be read from both sides.

See under material, there is “backface culling”. Disable that and the material should render from both sides.

Or change the design so that the object is rotated 180 degrees when facing away from camera?

Texture Face / Two Side in edit mesh? Functions for me. circa Blender 2.49b

In BGE, material & texture can not be used on TEXT object, only can change TEXT color in the Object tab page.

Although very lucky, Chinese can be writed from right to left in ancient times, but the way rotated 180 degrees have to do a lot of work…yeah, I will do it at last if there is no other ways.

convert the text to a mesh?>

alt+C

then edit select all, duplicate flip normals?

Another reason to downgrade to 2.49b

Till 2.50 font objects were not supported by the bge.

Right, sorry about that. I’m not a fan of font objects because of their limitations and I haven’t used them but I thought they would use standard materials at least.

Although very lucky, Chinese can be writed from right to left in ancient times, but the way rotated 180 degrees have to do a lot of work…yeah, I will do it at last if there is no other ways.

Yeah I understand, it must be tough working with such character set.

Another reason to downgrade to 2.49b

Text in 2.49b is limited to builtin bitmap which supports only handful of letters and isn’t remotely applicable in this example where the OP wants to use chinese character set. Refrain from posting nonsense let alone completely backwards “advice”.

Sure, it’s now impossible to reverse characters, a huge improvement.

You can use bitmap text in 2.71 just as well as in 2.49b. The thing is that is new is an ADDITIONAL system for text. It’s different from bitmap fonts, easier to use and although it is limited in some ways the big plus is it offers easy support for fonts and is able to include non-unicode characters.

Very strange, I still doing my work, I can see the Text backface now,
press P test game I can see Text backface, export game I can see Text backface, too.
but I can not found any different settings what I did…
I’ll upload my .blend file after my work few days later.

Yeah! I found it! Very easy, You can try it in BGE:
(1) Add two Text, one face to you, another rotate 180 degree backface to you.
(2) Press P test game, you can see only one Text, the one face to you.
(3) Add a mesh object -> Give it a Material -> Game Settings -> disable Backface Culling.
(3-1) ---- EDIT at 2014-10-29 ---- If in Linux System, mesh object’s Material -> must enable Transparency & Use Z Transparency
(4) Now, Press P test game, So the Text backface show! You can see two Text objects, face to you & backface to you.
Just one mesh object disable Backface Culling can let TEXT backface show, other objects can still keep enable Backface Culling.

---- Yes, it seems a BUG, a good BUG to me. :slight_smile:
---- Do not fix it, please! :stuck_out_tongue: