Creating Headlights with Flare!

At work I’m often required to fill in shots that we can’t film. In this case the story we were illustrating talked about a small motor vehicle (quad bike) travelling down a lonely road at night. I didn’t want to create a day for night effect with available footage so I made some headlights and grass, then shot it myself.

The first pass included a pair of spheres traveling a path with some animated rotation to simulate riding over rough terrain. But it looked to sterile.

So I added a plane growing some very rough grass as particles. Now when the headlights approach camera they are occluded by stalks of grass, giving a flickering effect to the glare in the lens.

If you want to run over a camera in Blender download the .blend and have a go yourself. see the next post for download.
BTW this is all rendered with Blender Internal as I didn’t have time to resolve the Cycles images, although the free depth of field would have looked nice.

head lights.blend (927 KB)Here is the download, enjoy.

And here is the example video… at last.

Excellent tutorial! Thanks for sharing!! :smiley:

To get correct rotation I had to offset the object centre of the lights down towards the ground. Otherwise they look weird rotating around themselves.

Most interesting, thanx for the share! :slight_smile: