do we advertise that blender is being used to make films?

i see some adverting about it like having koro on the blender page, but i think it should be advertised more, but however, needless to say, i might have overlooked some webpages because the internet is big, but if we advertise that the developers are giving close feedbacks from the makers of the short films, then i think it really gives the promotion an edge, since most good software is promoted as “professional” and such, and blender should promote “have alot of feedback, and listens to users”. since that was the main reason i switched to blender, i tried to learn other programs, but there was too little ACTIVE support, but rather, mostly passive ie. tutorials.
and as to why i’m saying this, it’s just cause’ i really like to see when people are using blender, for some reason, it just makes me happy

It’s a good idea to advertise, the more users, the better. With this wider base, the blender community will thrive. Only greater things to come from this I say.

If you do, please move past the old chestnut about the Spiderman 2 previs (Not the new series) which was done in Blender 2.2x or so (woefully out of date and incoming artists are mainly interested in current information).

I think I may have heard before of Blender playing a role in the pre-vis for Captain America 2, but I doubt you’ll get anything to turn up if you’re looking for ways Blender played a major role in Hollywood film making as opposed to being a ‘very’ minor component. Though there are maybe a few instances outside of Hollywood where Blender was used in a larger role such as for much of the South American animated movie known as Plumiferos (recently released as Birds of Paradise).

Then there’s this guy

It’s nothing major, but it is being used in major films. Side note, anyone know where I can get his birds?

Currently getting a book published and they are thinking about doing a short web series and i said something about blender to the film director and he said they use it alot.

I doubt there’s a budget for advertizing, as such. I think going after opportunities for promotion (which is normally at no cost to those being promoted) makes more sense. To be effective, however, it would need coordination and design by someone who knows something about marketing.

Anyone here got marketing experience?

So, if you can make models in blender, and use 30, seats, for blender and have one Maya guy or 3d studio guy throw all the geometry and UV maps into a professional suite.

They save… A lot of money…

No, compared to their overall running costs and their revenue, a large studio having 31 seats of Maya instead of Blender will just give them the best and most standardized tools available without sending them over the edge.

Don’t forget that the salaries of these artists are far higher than the software license costs, there are various threads throughout the forums that can tell you just how a large VFX studio works.

Where Blender it concerned, the best chance it has is with small to medium-sized studio environments, as the Autodesk solutions are already entrenched in the large studios to where even moving to Blender would mean spending millions on developing new plugins and retraining artists.

Yeah, in the “long view,” buying X seats of a software tool" is simply a cost of doing business. For that cost, you get support for the product and so-on. But you also have an industry-standard common platform that both you and all of your contractors can use … and that can be used with your entire inventory of “previously-developed 3D stuff” from other projects. And, since projects commonly last for years, you are managing risk.

The cost of licenses is probably the smallest cost. Professionals cost hundreds of times more. The project itself, thousands. It probably will never make sense to “replace product-X with product-Y.” The risk is high, and the returns for taking such a risk are non-existent.

At this point, I’d say that “Blender has nothing to prove.” There are several “professional grade” products out there being used right now for “professional work,” and Blender is one of them now. Maybe it’s used for pre-viz; maybe it’s used for production. (For that matter, maybe the work-product is “a movie,” and maybe it’s not!)

The business equation that governs the selection (and licensing) of software products does make business sense and it isn’t going to change anytime soon. This fact says nothing for-or-against Blender. It’s a waste-of-time to “fight a battle” that doesn’t exist. Everybody knows about Blender now.