Project management - all disciplines,

I just found https://trello.com/

is there anything better? similar?

Thought it may be usefull for workflow of group projects.

Epic Games already uses it for Unreal Engine 4 development (they have a spreadsheet of wanted features listed by priority and potential contributors can pick the one they want to work on).

As far as I know, it seems to be producing some positive returns early on in the community driven development, and I could see it being useful for Blender development as it can organize and list proposals better than the current method of using the wiki.

yeah there’s asana too. the day i found them, i couldn’t believe that something so good could be so well hidden.

Hey,

project management is actually a huge topic and there are a lot of software solutions out there. Of course, the choice depends on what you want to do.

For an animation project with a shot-based workflow, there are tools like Ftrackand Shotgrid. These are production trackers that give you all the tools (time tracking, tasks, overview of who is working on what) you need for an animation project. The problem here is that these two solutions are really complex. They are only really worthwhile if you have a team of at least 20 people.

For smaller projects, a simple Google Sheets and a solid folder structure is already enough.

For game projects, I would definitely use a Kanban system. In the previous answers, Jira or Asana were already mentioned. If you want to have it a bit more detailed, you can have a look at GitLab. They have Borads and even a Git repository for your game data.

Anchorpoint is also very new. It’s basically a mixture of Google Docs and Adobe Bridge. There, you can also map an animation workflow. The nice thing here is that your project management is tightly integrated with your project data. Basically, you have everything you need in one tool.