3-Layer Marshmallow using Cycles

Hello.

Still fascinated with using Cycles to do realistic food materials.

After a LOT of experimentation, I came up with a three-layered approach to doing realistic marshmallow material. Here is the final result:

Rather than rely on the Subsurface Scatter node in Cycles, I decided (after much experimentation) to use a multi-layered approach, similar to nested Russian dolls. Each layer was formed by copying and scaling the original cylindrical mesh. The layers are as follows:

-Marshmallow Core
-Marshmallow Mantle
-Marshmallow Crust

Subsequent posts will show the node layout of each.

-NodeNabob

Hello, again.

Here are the three layers to my Marshmallow material.

The Marshmallow Core node layout:

The Marshmallow Mantle node layout:

And finally, the outermost shell has the Marshmallow Crust node layout below:

I can go in a bit more depth about the exact colours used in a future post. I’ve reached my three pic limit for this post.

-NodeNabob

Here is more detail about the Marshmallow Core material:

Both of the Toon shader nodes have the same colour, which is not merely pure white. The RGBA for their colour is:
-R: 1.00
-G: 1.00
-B: 1.00
-A: 0.02

This produces a transparent effect which works in concert with the other two materials.

My next post will have details about the Marshmallow Mantle.

-NodeNabob

Details about the Marshmallow Mantle material:

The top Diffuse node has the same colour as was used in the Core:

The bottom Diffuse node has a full-alpha grey, to accentuate the webby parts of the Voronoi texture:
-R: 0.70
-G: 0.70
-B: 0.70
-A: 1.00

My final post will have details on the Marsmallow Crust.

-NodeNabob

And finally the details of the Marshmallow Crust material:

The colour used in the Translucent node is the same translucent white which appears in the two layers underneath the crust:

Thanks for reading! I will return with more materials as soon as I’ve had more time to experiment.

-NodeNabob

Hello, again.

Tried the three-layer approach to the well-known Suzanne mesh:

And to a Cube mesh:

I can furnish the layering and mesh details if requested.

-NodeNabob

Where’s the chocolate, the graham crackers, some sticks, and a crackling fire? :smiley: Interesting material.

Hmmm… Interesting, though in all honesty I’m not entirely sure this complex of setup is required. However I too have tried for many hours to replicate the familiar marshmallow material, and have not reached a satisfactory result. Maybe in more complex scenes this shader will indeed prove more efficient than others :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing.

what kind or how do you make the maps for this
why not make 2 models one with UV and one with proc texture only!

would you mind sharing a sample file for this
would save a lot of time for a lot of people

and nice tut and sharing it

happy cl

Hello. Just back from a long road trip last week. I see that there’s interest in the .blend file.

Let’s see if I in fact have 10 posts and can post this pasteall link:

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/31404

I can definitely do a video tutorial but this may have to wait until mid-September.

-NodeNabob

Hello, again.

Here is Part I of a video walk-through of the layers in my marshmallow set-up. Parts II and III will be posted soon.

-NodeNabob

Hello once again. It’s been well over a month, but here is the second short video showing how the Mantle material is set up:

The third and final video in the series will show how the Crust material was set up. Thanks for watching.

-NodeNabob

I just discovered the Blender Material Preview Scene (BMPS), which has been modified to work with Cycles. It can be downloaded at:

Here is the 3-Layer Marshmallow Material shown in BMPS. Comments are welcome.

-NodeNabob